We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

Lymington, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

Why cannot the Authorities recognise that Puerto De La Cruz requires good clean lavatories for the Tourists as well as its Residents. The Tourists and Residents are, by majority, elderly and their basic needs are not being considered.

The lavatories in Plaza de Charco are owned by the Town Council and the Señoras/Ladies lavatories have always been described as appalling. These facilities are now out of bounds to the general public unless they are clients of Cafe Dinamico!

This state of affairs is not good enough and if the Town Council want to welcome Tourists and look after their Residents, they should put Lavatory Facilities at the top of the Priority List !

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

Pauline:

The best place to go is a good restaurant or bar that is clean. None of the authorities in Spain worry about this topic, although they should if they value tourism.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston super Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

Hi, there are a number of good public toilets in Puerto, we often use the one at the harbour, just a short walk from Plaza Charco. Most bars and cafes have toilets for use by clients. Such as City Cafe, again close to Plaza Charco, and Mc Donalds on the sea front, coffee at both of these cafes are only 1€. At the other end of town there are good toilets at the Martianez Shopping Centre.

Toilets in Europe has always been through hotels, bars and cafes. Although UK has been the exception in the past, many toilets managed by the local authorities are now closing as it is too expensive to maintain them.

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

Ricky's absolutely right, there are plenty of public toilets in Puerto. Much better served than most other places on the island.

Big supermarkets, underground car parks, shopping centres and popular beaches are also good places for finding public loos.

I'll be the first to have a go at the authorities when they are negligent. But this time it's simply not the case.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

I think you posted with one eye closed Pauline ...or may be both ! MY OH needs the loo often (Medical problem ) and I can assure you he doesn't have to cross his legs ! ;-)

Sylla

PS ..well that's , that one covered for Puerto ...all useful information ; which is what TA is about !

Edited: 5:40 am, January 09, 2013
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

Sylla,

Find any local hostelry serves both purposes for me LOL

Deefiaant10

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

You must be an expert then Dee ..like my OH ! he will suss such places out on arrival ! ;-))

Sylla

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

Sylla,

You bet I am a pub expert - always know the nearest one at hand.

Deefiaant10

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

Rofl :-))

Sylla

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

Catching up and found this fairly interesting (??) .....i always enter toilets with both eyes open ,to avoid slipage !!.And i can only comment on the gents ,or disabled toilets .Wouldnt dream of using the ladies ,though it appears some men do ??LOL....think the OP being Pauline would be mentioning the Ladies ??

I noted recently that public toilets where not cleaned as often in the day as previous visits ,and in fact they where not cleaned on Local Holidays /Bank holidays ( Christmas day ,new years day ,Three Kings etc) at all . And off topic for a moment ...the streets remain dirty and littered too.

This was not just the north but the south too .Doesnt dirty toilets go along with the previous people using them .Though we may be lucky to use a clean loo one minute the next it could be left dirty ,toilet paper and SOAP used up by others .Its very difficult to say toilets are always clean surely ,how can anyone say differently ,surely you have to spend 24/7 in them to make such a statement .

Yes bars are cleaner well MOST !!! but these are with in a business and have staff on hand whilst open ,so they should be !!! Takings go down if bars etc leave them dirty However ,town councils are constantly making cuts and cleaning staff are often the first to be hit with cuts !

Did anyone use the same toilets on the same day and time as the OP ? They could well give an opinion

Liverpool
Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No Public Lavatories in Puerto De La Cruz!

I have to post this even thought I 've tried to keep it a secret for years. My first trip to Puerto De La Cruz I used to use the public toilets on the harbour all the time as the bar we frequented (on the harbour itself) didn't have any loos

. One fateful day, we left our usual haunt and headed down to the bar next to the public toilets.

As my hubby headed into bar to order beer and garlic sardines in vinegar , for some strange reason I decided to use the public toilet instead of the bar' s toilets.

30 mins later after the police had been called, my hubby eventually realised I was missing and had locked myself in the toilet!

I had been stuck there , shouting for help for ages and every man, woman, child and stray dog had tried to kick the door down without success until they called the police to get me out.

I was highly embarrassed especially when they tried to arrest me for not having any ID with me.

All hubby could say was "sorry , I've ate your sardines!".

At least the bar staff were sympathetic and gave me a free beer ( cos hubby had drank mine, obviously ) and more sardines .

The next year when we went back, the lock was still faulty! I never lock the door in public toilets anymore!

Oh and as I emerged from the toilets with 2 police men, the whole square was out in force to give me a huge cheer! Red face does not describe how I looked.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto de la Cruz