We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport requirements

Kilkenny, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
passport requirements

Hi, i am travelling to Teneriffe on april 1st 2014 from Ireland, for one week My passport will expire one month after my return, should i renew it before i go? A friend suggested i might need six months on passport before travelling. I'd appreciate any help from those with experience

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport requirements

Your friend doesn't understand the concept of the EU. You can go anywhere, anytime, on any valid passport.

Another thing I happen to know, is that you can also go into Spain from Ireland on a passport up to 1 year out of date.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport requirements

Hi

As long as your passport is valid for the duration of your visit ,you are OK

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport requirements

No problem at all,

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport requirements

I'd check with fco. My understanding is Spain can refuse to accept you without 6 months on your passport that is their immigration rules not ours.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,542 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport requirements

The requirements from the FCO https:/…entry-requirements say

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required.

So as long as your passport is valid on the day you arrive back in the UK from your hols, you will be fine.

queeniesdailysnippets.wordpress.com

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: passport requirements

If I'm reading this correct the OP is travelling from the ROI which is outside of the UK so the FCO guidance would only apply to British Citizens.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,542 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport requirements

It is the same information given on the DFA website https:/…

Entry requirements (visa/passport) Passports

You need a passport to enter Spain. While there is no minimum passport validity requirement, your passport must be valid for the planned period of your stay.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,987 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passport requirements

They are the same in essence.

"This depends on where you're travelling to. For all destinations outside of Ireland and Great Britain, you must travel on a valid Irish passport.

European Union

Your Irish Passport must be valid up to your return date.

United States

Your Irish Passport must be valid up to your return date. And you must also get an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) under the Visa Waiver Programme for entry into the United States. You can find more information on the US Embassy in Ireland's website.

All other countries

The passport validity required for countries outside of the European Union and the United States varies greatly so contact your travel agent or the embassy of the country you're travelling to for the most up-to-date requirements."

As Aguilas says, once your passport is valid on day of return, you'll be fine.

9. Re: passport requirements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:32 am, March 24, 2015