We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Playa de las Americas
Level Contributor
770 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

Hi,

Just to let you all know that I have just had an E-mail from Caxton informing me that:

"Caxton FX wins the Consumer Moneyfacts award for ‘Best Prepaid Currency Card’ 2012."

Kelly :)

Sheffield, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

BEWARE!! All seems good on the face of it but shocking customer service!! After applying for the card I was informed my deposit had been taken and application being processed. 2 days later the company asked for further identification (have ready your passport, recent utility bill and your 500m school swimming certificate!!) Apparently the company were unable to confirm my identity – despite my being well recorded on Experian etc and never having similar problems before. All documents were sent within minutes of them being requested…and then nothing. I called the company 2/3 times to see if they required anything more and was told that they had everything and would be in touch. After receiving an e-mail promising me a call/e-mail back the same day to update me…you guessed it – nothing back. After calling the company yet again…I was told the person dealing with my application was out of the office and that I would get a call back. The call came several hours later and said my card had been despatched, this being news to me – having not even been told if the application had been accepted or not. I am due to travel tomorrow to the US and I have still not received the card. I have now had to make alternative arrangements ultimately costing me more time/money. If you are seriously considering this card – my advice is to apply weeks/motnhs before you travel. I am very disappointed with this company – the card was recommended to me and all reviews looked good but overall very bad experience as a result mainly due to very poor customer service.

North East England...
Level Contributor
740 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

Ive used the Fairfx card over last 2 years.....great rates, no problems, highly recommended!!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,455 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

I use Fairfx too and find them excellent. Their customer service is brilliant and they even pick up queries from Facebook and sort them out. Would recommend to anyone.

I had been contemplating getting a Caxton card too if the rates were different but don't think I'll bother now.

Edited: 10:32 am, May 10, 2012
London, UK
Destination Expert
for Playa de las Americas
Level Contributor
770 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

Oh no!

Im sorry that you didn't have a good experience Matthew.

We have used Caxton for a number of years with no problems what so ever and always get a great exchange rate. We had no problems getting the card at all and find customer service excellent. We are more than happy with them. It would seem that most are happy with them given that they won again!! But, each to their own - as long as what you have works for you then thats good. It saves us a fortune in charges and is so safe - thats what we like :)

I think that travel cards are such an easy way of budgeting and avoiding charges for using your own money.

Kelly

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

I have used the Caxton fx euro card for several years and found them excellent.

When I first applied for the card it arrived within 48 hours.

Loading the card is easy and the only time I needed to speak to them on the telephone I found them efficient and helpfull.

!0 out of 10 for service all round.

Graham

Oxford, England...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

Unfortunately, I had exactly the same scenario as Matthew. Their customer service is very poor. It's taken a long time to get this card, I'm going on holiday at the weekend (just hoping it will arrive before then) or I have to figure something out last minute!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,455 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

Fairfx customer service is great and they also use their facebook page to pick up comments (good and bad) from their customers. I've had nothing but great service from them and certainly didn't need to jump through hoops to get my card either.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

The AA Travel Currency Card - VERY VERY BAD CARD. ...Stay away from this card. Worst ever rates used. Did not realised how extortionate the rates were till I returned to base and checked my statements. Shocking. I mostly used this card for ATM withdrawal and was taken in by the ruse offer of having the fees voided if withdrawing over £100. Bad mistake. Throughout my 6 weeks away I reckoned I have lost £170 compared to using my normal debit card with their charges and fees. Better stick to FairFx or BreadFX

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

hi

can i use the caxton card in teneriffe at atm's, shops etc without charge?

glasgow
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Caxton FX Currency Card wins best prepaid travel card 2012.

Yes.

Get answers to your questions about Tenerife