We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos

Will be in PDLA in October, do we need a mosquito plug and tablets and insect repelents?(Boots got them on 3 for 2 at minute!)

Thanks

castleford united...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos

Never been in october,but may and june we have never had any problems at all,if there a bargain buy them,and take them just in case.

tigerman

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos

Don't think they are around in October, but could be mistaken. I have mosquito nets over my windows so don't notice them these days but when we first came here I used to get bitten all the time. Personally I'd bring the plug ins with you and maybe if they do an 'After Bite'. If not you can get them here, like a pen that you can carry around and rub on the bite as soon as you notice it. Works a treat.

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos

Hi,

No harm in taking them with you but before I discovered Tenerife I used to be bitten alive every foreign holiday - Spain, France, Portugal etc.

I have been to Tenerife about 20 times now in April, May, June, September, October and November and never been bitten once, which for me is truly amazing. Maybe they are more prevalent in mid summer, I'm not sure.

Nelly

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
France
France
Europe
Retford, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos

Thanks for your help, looks like i'm off to Boots tomorrow.

manchester
Level Contributor
644 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos

have been in early november and never been bitten

but have never been bitten wherever we go ever in over 20yrs !!

they mustn't like me !!

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos

Billy

I don't know any man they like - it's us SWEET skinned females they go for isn’t that true girls.

Hope I haven’t just made the same mistake Tig made with Lenny !!

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,846 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos

Yes Aguilas, It's girls they love! they love me anyway, bite me all over and hubby does'nt get a bite!

What is the rhyme? "what are little girls made of"?...........?

S

manchester
Level Contributor
644 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos

Aquilas

my wife always says"they only go for good meat"

she nearly always get bitten !!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,543 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos

Hi,

Here are some tips which may help; I'd been taking Vit B1 for a while (for medical reasons) before I knew about the mozzie connection & had had 4 hols with only 2 or 3 bites, which didn't swell into the usual golf ball type lumps!Def works for me, altho I know it doesn't work for everyone. Read something recently that suggests research is looking at some blood types being more affected than others....O type...that's me then!

MOSQUITOES- Take Vit B pills just before going & during - you won't taste nice to the mozzies then. Thiamine, found in B1 is an irritant to them. Be aware that prolonged use may upset your mineral balance. Vit B1’s effectiveness is lessened thru alcohol.

Some people say take yeast pills instead.

Take Avon Skin so Soft / Woodland Fresh as it's a great repellent. (Some specifically recommend the Avon skin so soft dry oil spray "soft & fresh"; you want the blue/green bottle as this variety has the citronella in it, it is not in the pink one "soft & sensual" I use the pink one tho.

Some say get DEET from Boots. Take a room plug in. You can also get wristbands from Mothercare against mozzies (approx £4 each). Aspivenin gadget from Boots (about £20) or online- pocket sized mini pump that will suck out the poison from mozzie bites etc.

Regards

10. Re: Mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, October 05, 2009