We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a Tom Tom Sat Nav in Lanzarote

Hertfordshire
2 posts
Save Topic
Using a Tom Tom Sat Nav in Lanzarote

When using my TomTom in the UK I just enter the postcode for my destination and thats all there is to it....but how is it done in Lanzarote? They don't use postcodes like we do in the UK.

Thanks everyone.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using a Tom Tom Sat Nav in Lanzarote

We have 'postcodes' here but they are long numbers instead. Not sure how a sat nav will work here though as there's a number of blind spots or weak spots on the island in certain parts.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,590 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using a Tom Tom Sat Nav in Lanzarote

Hi surfboy

I wouldn't worry to much as you don't reallly need a sat nav on Lanzarote. The roads are well signposted as are the places of interest. Plus you should get a map with your hire car.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,457 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using a Tom Tom Sat Nav in Lanzarote

>>Not sure how a sat nav will work here though as there's a number of blind spots or weak spots on the island in certain parts.<<

There cannot be weak spots for sat nav: it is a global system that works off satellites and is the same everywhere. There will be reception problems only where there are narrow streets and high buildings that block access to the satellites.

The UK is the only country where a Postcode covers an area sufficiently small to be useful for sat nav. Everywhere else, you have to enter an address: building number, street name, town.

Edited: 7:29 pm, March 27, 2010
Hertfordshire
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Using a Tom Tom Sat Nav in Lanzarote

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies. I guess I wont bother taking my Tom Tom with me judging by your replies.

Thanks again to you all.

UK
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using a Tom Tom Sat Nav in Lanzarote

We have used TomTom in Lanzarote. It is not perfect, and you need to follow road signs and use common sense as well! Like elsewhere, you need your TomTom to have the latest updates.

6. Re: Using a Tom Tom Sat Nav in Lanzarote

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 08, 2010