We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet

Oxford
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Internet

Could you advise me on the availability of internet on Lanzarote in genral, Playa Blanca in particular.

Thank you

Scotland
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Internet

Thanks Ragaroo - off to check my Iphone settings!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Internet

MalH

Settings -> General -> Network -> Data Roaming -> OFF (always)

Settings -> Wi-Fi -> ON

Everything else as normal = no extra charges ;-)

We find the following Apps (downloaded in advance from the Apps store) helpful when travelling too:

xe Currrency (free - choose your currencies and re-set it last thing before you leave the UK - it then acts as a reasonably accurate 'live' currency converter when you're away as it stores the last conversion rate)

Skype (free - if you're in a wifi zone and you make a skype call to another skype user then it's basically a free international call - for example if your son has downloaded it too you need to add each other to each other's contact lists first then, when he is back in the UK and you're in Lanzarote, if you hit a wifi zone you can skype/call him for free - all you need to do is text him in advance to let him know to turn his skype 'on' and you can then connect - free calls via skype for iPhone are great!)

Flashlight (free - very handy when you're stuck in an unlit area after dark with no torch)

Stars (free - great if you like star-gazing)

Postman (not free, think it costs about 50p - but enables you to take an iPhone photo and put it in a fancy frame and write some text and then send it as a 'postcard' via email, facebook etc when you're in a wifi zone)

Scrabble (£2.99 but much better/cheaper than losing the small bits in the many Travel Scrabble sets we've had over then years)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Internet

I was looking for WiFi in Playa Blanca last week, and as well as the Wax Bar, which has been mentioned already, the coffee bar outside the Hiperdino near the old harbour advertises it, as does an icecream parlour/cafe type place (sorry I forgot the name) outside the main entrance to the RubiMar shopping centre at Marina Rubicon (you can get a number 30 bus along the main road for 1.15 euros, then walk the last hundred yards or so). It's right next to the trampolines with harnesses and 'bungee' type elastic (which incidentally costs 5 euros for 10 minutes of bouncing). Actually inside the RubiMar shopping centre, there is an amusement arcade on the ground floor which contains 6 computers with internet access. You are SUPPOSED to get 20 mins online per euro, and although I got 20 mins, my son only got 10 mins, so watch out for that!

Back to the Papagayo commercial centre containing the Wax Bar. On the ground floor there is also a small 'shop' that offers internet access through their computers, which gets slightly cheaper the longer you use it - and you can also obtain print outs, if necessary. They also provide cheap phone calls home - I think it is 15c per minute.

Best wishes,

Katherine :-)

14. Re: Internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 08, 2010