We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for family of 5 please

Nr Chelmsford
1 post
Save Topic
Advice needed for family of 5 please

Hi there - we have three kids, 9, 6 and 6. We were thinking of going away during or just before Feb half term starts, to try and save some money. Can anyone recommend a great place to stay where it's warm for our first overseas family holiday? Ideally fly from Stansted but if not, Heathrow preferred over Gatwick (due to distance).

Many thanks.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for family of 5 please

Lanzarote is a great choice. What kind of accomodation are you after, ie self catering or half board or all inclusive? There are no direct flights from Heathrow, but Stanstead should be ok. For flights have a look at www.skyscanner.net.

C

x

UK
Level Contributor
967 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for family of 5 please

As you’ll probably know lots of the S/C accom in Lanzarote (and elsewhere) is either 1 bed apt good for 3 or 4 people but with the 3rd child you’ll need a 2 bed apt and if you book that through a tour company you’re likely to get hit with huge under occupancy charges. Booking direct with a complex or even a local agency in lanzarote or on a site like www.bedbookers.com or www.alpharooms.com is often cheaper in any case and will probably save you further on occupancy charges.

If you’re going just out of the half term period the tour companies might have special offers, especially in Feb so look out for those as well but do compare those prices with direct booking prices.

Another alternative which on a budget and with kids can be quite appealing is to consider All Inclusive. That way you’ll be able to easier manage your spending and having food and drink on tap all day can make looking after the kids a bit easier. The downside seems to be that some of the AI complexes aren’t particularly fantastic, if in doubt look it up on Trip Advisor and see the reviews.

If you fancy the 2 bed S/C booking independently option (which would be my personal preference) then you could google but here are a couple of ideas.

This is the website of a really nice smallish complex, 3 mins from the beach :

http://www.apartamentosplayamar.com/

Ore email here and ask for details about Atlantis Las Lomas which isn’t quite so nice but is really great for kids

atlantis_laslomas@yahoo.es

For flights try www.skyscanner.net

Ole

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for family of 5 please

If you want to keep it cheap, as the above poster says, it is cheaper to book independently. We always book Los Fragosos which is in PDC but nearer to the Old Town directly with the owners. A walk away from all amenities, so no need to hire a car. If you want more info, feel free to PM me and I can email you some pics.

We booked our flights for next Easter with Thomas Cook, but I know since the XL saga, all flights have now increased in price since we booked.

All Inclusive is another good option with kids, but I've found Lanzarote to be dearer with that option.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for family of 5 please

Hi mum you could have a look at cincos plazas complex in pdc it has 3 pools children activities 2 bed apartments you can book with Thomson's or do it diy im going for new year booked flights with jet 2 and booked my accommodation through owners-direct put ref number c1513 in the search box and it will bring apartment up

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for family of 5 please

Hey Murgy - that looks nice. Where is it in relation to the shopping complex?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for family of 5 please

Hi bug from all the reviews ive read they say its a 5/10 min walk down to strip and beach so central for everything no need for taxis,apartment looks really nice if your interested in booking contact the owners there really good sent me additional photos the apartment is really home from home got everything you need for self/catering holiday..

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed for family of 5 please

I think I know where it is - I read it is next-door to Netto, so it is probably over the road from where we usually stay (I seem to remember seeing the name written on the wall outside). Might take a peek when I'm there at Easter! :) Thanks for the reply.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed for family of 5 please

It is next door to nettos and an Irish bar call sprinklers if you that il put a review on when i get back..

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed for family of 5 please

That would be great Murgy. Another option for a future holiday - I like the idea of entertainment around the complex.

UK
Level Contributor
967 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed for family of 5 please

Yes, Cinco plazas should be great for kids, handy for the main strip and beach (5 mins down hill).

BTW I think 'Sprinklers' should really be The Spinnaker bar !

Also on the same road (Calle Anzuelo) a bit further towards the beach is Spenders Bar.

The main shopping arcade is The Biosfera which is near the Old Town and is about 15-20 min walk.

Ole