We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Lanzarote
Search

Femes cycling restrictions

Level Contributor
284 posts
11 reviews
5 helpful votes
Femes cycling restrictions
Save

Is anybody able to confirm the extent of the new "ban" on cycling between Playa Blanca and Femes? As I understand it, it's prohibited all the way up (Playa Blanca > Maciot roundabout > Femes). Is it the same on the way down? Or are you still allowed to ride down from Femes to the Maciot roundabout before turning towards Las Brenas?

The ban astounds me, Lanzarote is sold as a road cycling destination. Especially over winter. The climb up to Femes was a real challenge and stood out amongst with just a handful of other climbs against the rest of the island which is relatively flat / undulating.

I can see businesses in Playa Blanca suffering as a result. There's no reason for cyclists or cycling groups to stay there now that the LZ-701 is the only route out. That's a dull 10km+ at the beginning and end of every ride.

13 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
45,885 posts
62 reviews
94 helpful votes
1. Re: Femes cycling restrictions
Save

This may help?

https:/…

Manchester
Level Contributor
791 posts
13 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Femes cycling restrictions
Save

It’s all about safety ;-)

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
57 reviews
55 helpful votes
3. Re: Femes cycling restrictions
Save

An interesting read. Two sides to the argument, but the cyclists haven't exactly helped themselves, in many cases riding two or more abreast, and seemingly oblivious to the queue of traffic behind them.

London
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Femes cycling restrictions
Save

Maybe maybe not but it's a pretty backward step given the reliance on tourists, and supposed eco friendly travel options.

And what's the rush? So it takes you five mins more get over it. Didnt think it was possible to find somewhere more cycle unfriendly than England but Lanza having a good go!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
24,586 posts
5. Re: Femes cycling restrictions
Save

why not close the road to all but cyclists and then charge them for the joy of riding up and down it...………….. that would work.

Level Contributor
284 posts
11 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Femes cycling restrictions
Save

Not wanting this to descend into the usual cycling arguement you get online...

Firstly, it's perfectly legal, both in the UK and spain to cycle two abreast. In a lot of situations it makes it easier for cars to overtake. It's easier to overtake the length of one bike than it is two following each other. That's assuming cars are overtaking and giving the appropriate clearance to the bikes. They should be overtaken in the same way as the car.

Anyway.... The report is clear that the climb up to Femes is now off limits. It is less clear about the descent. If you can get down to the Maciot roundabout from Femes then that allows a few options. Otherwise, any 50 mile route out of Playa Blanca is going to be out and back up the 701 for a big chunk of it.

The climb up to Femes is a serious challenge and the kind of people cycling up it aren't people that have just decided to hire a bike for a day. They will have planned their holiday, at least partly, around the cycling. One of the major climbs on the island is now off limits but more importantly, it sends a signal. Lanzarote always had it tough due to being more exposed to the wind but it's suddenly moved down the list of canary islands to visit for a certain group of people.

Lanzarote always had it tough due to being more exposed to the wind.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
29 reviews
45 helpful votes
7. Re: Femes cycling restrictions
Save

The hill in question is a narrow road and has a mountain at the side of it. I am guessing the trouble would be cyclists are fairly slow compared with cars up hills. On that particular hill I doubt whether another car would attempt to overtake another going up it. Cyclists two abreast with their bikes going from side to side up a hill would probably prevent any car overtaking. I looked at the hill on one of my walks and did not even fancy walking up it.

It's a shame but hopefully the other road will still be useful to you.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
45,885 posts
62 reviews
94 helpful votes
8. Re: Femes cycling restrictions
Save

There was quite a queue of cars trying to pass 2 cyclists going up from the "camel" roundabout when we drove past last week. The bikes were in single file, a reasonable distance apart but there just wasn't any gaps in the incoming traffic big enough to get past.

There's been several incidences of cyclists just ignoring the signs and carrying on anyway (according to FB reports). We've seen people who have definitely just decided to hire bikes trying to get up there before now.

They made the "old road" to PB into 60km and put speed cameras on it deter motor vehicles so cyclists could use it safely instead of using the "new road", but lots use the new road instead.

Level Contributor
284 posts
11 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Femes cycling restrictions
Save

Del, the road from Playa Blanca to Marciot is straight and easy to overtake on. Why cycling would be banned on that bit is beyond me. The Section from Marciot to Femes is steep but it's just 800m in length. The last 400m is winding and you're correct, overtaking would be difficult.

Banning a clean and sustainable mode of transport in order to avoid cars being stuck behind a bike for 400m seems disproportionate. There are other roads for cars too...

"It's a shame but hopefully the other road will still be useful to you."

It will have to be for this trip. The LZ-701 is 12km to Yaiza. With nine 60-80km routes planned for the fortnight, that's 216km (or about 30% of the entire trip) spent on the same road. Somewhat wearisome and not something you would choose to do with other destinations available. It just means there will be no more cycling holidays in Playa Blanca /Lanzarote.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
29 reviews
45 helpful votes
10. Re: Femes cycling restrictions
Save

yes i have walked to Marciot and it does have a lane at the edge on the right side in most places. There is also an off road track on the left going up but not useful to the cyclists. I would have thought that part would be ok and then the cyclists could drop down to the other road through Marciot but i am guessing the cyclists would still go for that 800m hill.

Reply to: Femes cycling restrictions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lanzarote