We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip update Puerto Rico/Mogan

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Trip update Puerto Rico/Mogan

Hello folks!

Here´s the update as promised. Got half an hour here on a public computer. (I can´t afford and Ipod...I "waste" all my money on trips to the sun. :o)

Tuesday April23rd.

All travel was smooth, Ryainair even landed 25mins early!!!! Got to Las Bouganvilla aparts. and they seem just fine. Only two floors high. Wouldn´t be to everyones taste but they suit me here on my own. Clean, quiet ans a small complex with a small pool. I don´t intend to train for the Olympics, so that´s good.

I unfortunately had my first ever encounter with a cockroach. Absolutely NO reflection on the apartment and most seasoned travelers will know they are just living here, in the heat, as common as our own flies and wasps I suppose, (and just as welcome).

As I sat on the couch a movement on the back cushion of the chair opposite me caught my eye. I let out, what I think authors describe as " a strangled scream", or mybe it was a full volume one...

I swiped it to the floor with my flipflop, intending to then flatten it. I saw it sail through the air, as I winced at being at such close proximity to it. Where did it go?!!!!

I couldn´t see it. Now that really was disconcerting.

Eventually, I went to shower and tried not to think about the invader. When I came into the lounge again and sat down with a glass of vino, I spotted the blighter! The fig-sized alien (to me!) was suspended under the arem of the chair. I swear he was camoflaged with the wood colour. Imagine if I´d sat there and put my hand on the arm? Urrrgh, I´m even goosey at the though now, as I type.

I rattled the chair until the bug-ger fell off and then I stamped on him. I swept him out the patio door to the balcony. He would provide a very good meal for a blackbird the next day, I was sure. (He did too!)

Now, one would think, being here on my own, that I wouldn´t hope to attract too much attention, yeah? WRONG!

First night, I couldn´t sleep, so at abot 3AM I went on to my balcony to cool down and look at the moon...and the dead roach. I carefully closed the glass doors behind me. Didn´t want any other creepy things entering. About 20 mins later a gentle breeze picked up. I was a little chilly so I went to go inside. Ah yes. Self locking doors, and I was on the WRONG side of them!

There was only a small bar on site and this had been closed since abot 1.30. Oh sh*t!! In my best Rapunzel voice, I called out, "hello? Anyone about? Hello?".

I was beging to resign myself to a night on the tiled balcony. Not quite the "night on the tiles" I´d imagined. I called out again and the bar owner and wife appeared. She, thankfully had keys and confirmed my room number. Ah, relief! I would soon be back in the warm and my embarrasment would soon be forgotten. She appeared again shortly and asked me had I left my key in the door? Yep, of course I bl**dy had! Didn´t want any mad axeman coming in while I was asleep. (roll-eyes)

Her Spanish husband was shouting at me, asking me WHY had I shut the doors anyway, while Iwas outside. I shouted back, that he wasn´t being very helpful. They both dissappeared again and I was left wondering if I was to stay outside until daylight, but even then, what would happen? Next ting, he was beside me on the balcony having climbed up. He was armed with three screwdrivers. I wondered for a moment, if he intended to spear me with them in turn! He had to actually dismantle the doors to let me back in, muttering furiously in Spanish all the while.

I was mortified and any hopes of being quietly inconspicuous was a distant hope!

More to follow...

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Trip update Puerto Rico/Mogan

Pleased you enjoyed it. :-)

I hope you give an account of your trip too.

England
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Trip update Puerto Rico/Mogan

We will be there next month.

Hope dental floss is around.

Just back from a cruise which visited Lanzarote.

No sign of any Brazillians but with the pounds I put on shifting shed loads of food i don't suppose I'd get a look in anyway

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Trip update Puerto Rico/Mogan

Dragging this back at someone's request, and be warned, I'm off again at the end of this April. Just might amuse myself and write another! :-D

England
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Trip update Puerto Rico/Mogan

Please do.

Just re read the whole thing. Excellent!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Trip update Puerto Rico/Mogan

Thanks Trickster. I'll be on my own again for the first two weeks so I'm sure I'll do a little write up. :-)

Nairn, Scotland
Level Contributor
993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Trip update Puerto Rico/Mogan

Where's that like button?

37. Re: Trip update Puerto Rico/Mogan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 11, 2015