We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuerteventura in January with small children

Wallingford, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Fuerteventura in January with small children

I'm keen to visit Fuerteventura in January with my husband and two young daughters (aged 1 and 2 years). We don't like big touristy resorts and lots of people but love beautiful, white sandy beaches and great food in little village restaurants. I've done quite a lot of research and like the look of El Cotillo, but I'd like to ask advice from those of you who know the island before I go any further - it's very difficult to get the full picture from holiday companies' websites!

My questions are:

1) Is the weather going to be warm enough in January for shorts/ t-shirts and buckets & spades on the beach with children?

2) Will it be too windy for buckets & spades anyway?!

3) Is El Cotillo a good choice or is there somewhere else you think would suit us better?

Thanks very much for your help,

Lucy.

PS Any accommodation recommendations are very welcome too... We normally prefer self catering villas or apartments so we're not all crammed in one bedroom but will consider hotels. Have heard heated swimming pools are a must at this time of year!

Wallingford, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuerteventura in January with small children

Can anyone help me please?

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuerteventura in January with small children

cant help with El Cotillo as we stop in caleta ...now we have been in January and the weather was lovely spent all day on the beach sunbathing but it does go colder a night hope this helps

Wallingford, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuerteventura in January with small children

Thanks very much - weather sounds ideal. Would you recommend the area you go to?

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fuerteventura in January with small children

for me its ideal with small children ..i started going while mine was young ..good beach and safe for children see here what caleta has to offer you its done by the DE who lives in caleta

http://www.freewebs.com/caletafuerteventura/

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fuerteventura in January with small children

El Cotillo sounds perfect for your family. I think Caleta would probably suit too but El Cotillo would have the edge.

It was a fishing village before tourism arrived, and it still is. It's a quiet resort, quite cosmopolitan, for people who want to be independent (not full of big hotels with kids clubs etc) but who want a few bars and restaurants, too.

The many lagoons to the north of the town are perfect for young kids. The sand is golden and the sea is very shallow and calm and full of fish who will sometimes eat out of your hand. Plastic shoes are advisable (available locally) as the many rock pools are a bit sharp-edged and there are a few sea urchins etc around.

A hire car is strongly advised as otherwise you'll miss a lot of the best places, both locally and around the island. If you stay far from the airport then hiring it there is the best bet as the transfers can cost almost as much as a week's hire.

One important note for parents: most of the island's beaches are clothes-optional. Your kids certainly won't mind but Caleta may be a better option if you will. Caleta is predominately British and is the only resort that frowns on all-over tans.

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fuerteventura in January with small children

like sheila says no matter where you go you will love the island

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fuerteventura in January with small children

El Cotillo would be a good bet, it will be a bit quiet in Jan, but it is great for kids. The lagoons mean the sea is warmer.

Don't worry about nudists, they tend to stay away from families with kids!

Edited: 8:17 am, October 20, 2013
Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fuerteventura in January with small children

Actually, naturists (nudists, if you prefer) often ARE families with kids! :) We just try not to offend anyone.

For anyone who's around in early January, you might like to know that El Toston bar is expected to be hopping as a whole load of musicians are planning a stay, with lots of music for all in the bar(s) and on the beach. It was great last year.

Wallingford, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fuerteventura in January with small children

Thank you everyone for your help! Sounds like El Cotillo is the place for us.

10. Re: Fuerteventura in January with small children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 28, 2014