We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

scotland
Level Contributor
15,513 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

After reading neumerous car hire questions and reviews its about time that good ones are judged fairly ,and the not so good ones named and shamed .

Keep it simple not long winded horror stories please...just a number

On a scale 1-10 lets rate them . Company name then your score .

1-2 ...poor and never again .overcharging on fuel and Insurance..bad cars

3-4 ...average. delays, poor quality cars and no on site pickup

5-6 ...good ,reasonable cars with airport pickup

7-8 ...very good with new cars with airport pickup

9-10 .Ex with great service and new cars with airport pickup

Edited: 12:00 pm, December 02, 2011
Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

Autoreisen- must have had a license valid in Europe for at least two years, and minimum 23 years of age.

Penicuik, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

Cheers folks. I am 29 but only driving year and a half. Might be alright with some..

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

Just returned from a month in Corralejo....hired an Astra via Cabrera Medina for £325....vehicle actually supplied by Cicar who are part of the same company along with Payless....all three are excellent but its worth comparing websites for best price. Child seats and one extra driver are free.

9/10 !

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

My personal experience:

Cicar , and Cabrera Medina. 7-8

Goldcar 1

Petts Wood, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

Just hired with Orlando again and was happy with them last March and now they have improved their airport pick up service.

Now they are waiting for you in the airport terminal at the arrival time you state on your booking so no hanging around waiting to see when the transfer turns up. I don't know if things have changed if you are not booking with Holiday Autos but HA still include a quarter of a tank of fuel and you have to return with the same which was good compared to some that charge €65+ for a tank of fuel.

Ok the basic cars are older but they are fine and am more than happy to use Orlando again in the future.

I used Avis in October and didn't put a review on for them but was very happy with them, I booked the basic car through holiday autos and ended up with an upgraded car a 4 door new VW Polo which was very nice to drive and the convenience of having an on airport collection was great within 20mins of touchdown I was driving away. With holiday autos you can delete the excess on the policy which was over €600 for just a few pounds and there is no fuel charges.

Would recommend both companies - hope this helps!

bristol
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
86. Re: Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

Hi all,

i have never hired in fuerte before as i have always stayed in caleta ( collected from airport takes 10 mins tops to get to chipmonk hill where we usually stay )

however this time we are staying in a place called la capellia ( spelling ) near corralejo so we have hired this year , we have used an agent who we always use when we go to spain , they are called do you spain ( always been good when we have been to spain mainland ) the have booked us in fuerte 4 a week starting march 20th with a company called interrent based at the europacar rentals office 93 euros for the week , anybody got any feed back on them please

Kev

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

I want to remind everyone NOT to rent from Goldcar !!

Read my experience with these thieves below...

After years of using rental cars all over the world (USA, South Africa, Mexico, Thailand, Canaries etc.) we just had our first bad experience with a car rental company. Gold Car !! So please, take my advice and don't give them any business, they really don't deserve your hard earned money !!

We rented a car from them some time ago at Reus airport, booked trough Auto Europe, meaning we got a zero excess for free from Auto Europe. When we picked up the car we had a hour long discussion with the desk employee about the extra insurance he was trying to make us buy, even though my voucher stated we got a zero excess insurance from Auto Europe. In the end he got the message we weren't going to buy the extra insurance so he tried it another way. When the driver was giving his credit card (Master Card) for the deposit guarantee the Gold Car employee said that we can not get the car without the extra insurance because the master card that we gave him was not a credit card (??) but a debet card. Now you must know that the driver of our group owns a house in the area and rents cars at Reus airport very often, always using that credit card without a problem when using other rental companies. So what Gold Car told us was rubbish. So the driver offered them another (Visa Credit) card. The employee said this was also not a credit card so we would need to take the insurance. At that stage I offered them one of my credit cards. He said this one was fine but I couldn't use it becuase I wasn't driving the car. We were a group of 4 so the second driver in the contract offered them one of his cards. Guess what? The same rubbish answer. I was getting quiet upset at that stage (other people at the desk were going trough the same thing while we were there) and only when I was about to phone the bank that issued the card (so I could let the bank actually tell the employee that the card was indeed a credit card) he actually agreed to accept the card. We are experienced travellers and have used our credit cards at many hotels and car rental companies without a problem. Gold Car was just trying it's way to make people pay actually more than they should.

I forgot to mention that the full petrol tank we were forced to buy actually costed more than the car rental price for a week...

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

Orlando car hire Tenerife, dont bother they were not interested when our car was vandlised only in getting 175 euro from us or we would not be flying home (not used to threats) sub standard cars sub standard service.

scotland
Level Contributor
15,513 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

Some good information guys ,TY for posting

Shangri-la
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Car hire ...best company on the Island ..add your score

Booked with Hertz for our stay January / February as they are a well known & presumably reputable business.

Checked with them in the UK re insurance & was assured that it is included in the daily rate of all of their hires.

However, when I went to pick the car up at Fuerteventura airport I was told that I had to pay either €920 or €250 extra for insurance. Not a Happy Bunny!

The car itself (Renault Clio) had a broken parcel shelf & more rattles than a bag of stones in a washing machine.

We shall not be using Hertz for any future visits - & I suggest that nobody else does either!

Definitely 0/10!!

Edited: 1:32 pm, March 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Fuerteventura