We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

Lincolnshire, Uk
Level Contributor
71 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

On a recent visit to Fuerteventura for a first time I booked a car via Angus Car Hire on the internet who offered a good priced deal via Goldcar. This deal appeared to be £20 cheaper than the usual internation companies. When we arrived at the airport all of the other international companies desks were easily accessible however Goldcar were not based at the airport. We joined the queue at a bus stand with around twenty other people some who had been waiting well over an hour for the shuttle bus. The mini bus arrived and we proceeded to get on with our luggage. We travelled approximately five miles from the airport to a petrol station and found a Goldcar porter cabin with a large queue of around twenty other people. Together we joined this queue to be told some people had been queing well over an hour for any attention. No seating area or anything was available for family members. A further wait for over an hour and a half took place by the time we got our car we had left the aeroplane three hours previously. To make things worse the real con with this poor company is not only that the majority of the cars are damaged in some form but you have to pay in advance for a full tank of fuel however our car didnt have a full tank of fuel and I was charged British prices for the fuel however Spanish prices are considerably cheaper. When you return the vehicle you have to return it empty so if you dont you lose out. This works out more expensive than the other major companies with poor service from start to finish so please be warned.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
655 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

good post above.........have seen this Goldcar company ,when iv been for petrol at the filling station , they look very amatuerish, and very disorganised,and as you say lots of people sitting on suitcases waiting around . I too would advise anyone booking car hire not too use them ,along with orlando. None of these have desks at the airport ,so would advise to use companies who do like Payless, Hertz ,Cicar , Auto Reisen, all these are very reliable ,with good quality cars .

Edited: 8:49 am, February 22, 2011
Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

I never really look past avis myself, may be a bit more expensive, but the desk is at the airport and you always get a quality car and great service.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
655 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

forgot to add Avis to my list bgekk, ive used them too , and as you say ,great service and quality cars.

Solihull, England
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

I also had the same situation a few years back, booked through recordrentacar and had to be picked up from the airport to be taken to Orlando Rent a Car. The car we were given was old and in bad condition so we asked for a different one, we were given another one that was just as old but with bald tyres so the next day we took it back and got a refund for the remainder of the rental and then rented a car from Hertz which was brand new. The last few times I have been I have rented from Cicar at the airport who are a really good company and all prices include excess insurance and additional drivers etc, found them very reasonable and good quality cars.

Roma
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

Last-minute warning:

while back home re-thinking about Fuerteventura beauty I just left... my bank advises me a 600 Euro (not peanuts!) payment has been authorised on behalf of Goldcar. WHAT?!? I called the Fuerteventura agency immediately, asking for details, and the answer was: the mechanic did a throughout check of the car you brought back, and it was broken.

They made us wait ages for both renting and returning the car, we had to pay extra 55 € for petrol, we returned the car in better condition than when we rented it, and now... I'm getting ready for the battle against this real robbery! Moreover, I just got to know that I friend of mine, years ago, got a FALSE BANKNOTE back with the deposit she left when renting a car from Tenerife Goldcar.

What a shame! Be careful!

Edited: 11:46 am, May 04, 2011
Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

It seems that silva2it is posting only 1 negative message and registers for that.

it is generally a good idea to book at the car rental companies that have their cars at the parking lot at the airport. It's only 10 meters away from the airport building. I think those are Payless/Avis/Europcar/Cicar..?

Roma
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

Right, IT SEEMS, but it is not like this:

I did not register for posting this comment, registration was required to me two weeks ago by TripAdvisor itself, together with comment request for 2 Novotel hotels I recently stayed in! I actually got connected with this site upon their own request (although I did hear about it before).

I am a frequent car rental user (mainly for work), and such inconvenient never happened to me before. My only fault was a last-minute booking, where I did not have the chance to check beforehand the rental brand name.

Regards

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

Agreed- Goldcar ripped us off royally. If youre staying on Fuerteventura (we were at el cotillo) DO NOT hire from them. You stand out in the heat waiting ages for the car, its wayyy more expensive than they said and the car place is not at the airport. We did not know all of this until too late. We booked online, as it seemed a reasonable price, and did not know it was goldcar we were booking with until we got the paperwork.

AVOID!

Our apartment manager said Cicar is the company to hire from

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

I also had a very bad experience with Goldcar. They offered a cheap price but charged to my account Euro 100,00 for fuel although it was an Opel Corsa. Furthermore they charged my account for 800,00 because there was damage=> I hired the car for 2 days and only drove 200 kilometres.; there was no damage at all!!!!!

Please be aware never rent a car from this company!!!!

Lincolnshire, Uk
Level Contributor
71 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WARNING - Goldcar Car Hire

If you are reading this and thinking that i haven't booked a hire car through Goldcar be aware that when searching a car hire comparison site Angus Car Hire came up as very cheap compared to the big companies. Angus Car Hire is a selling agent for Goldcar!!

Get answers to your questions about Fuerteventura