We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Gems - travel company (BEWARE)

London, England...
1 post
Save Topic
Holiday Gems - travel company (BEWARE)

BEWARE OF HOLIDAY GEMS - Negligent and fraudulent!!

We experienced endless problems booking a simple holiday to Gran Canaria through Holiday Gems. They offered prices that they could meet. Our flight costs increased by over £100 each (for a couple) from the original booking because they took too long too actually book the flight with the airline (Ryanair). On top of that they forgot to book any baggage allowance so it cost us £80 at the airport for one item of luggage of 15 kgs. I tried to advise them of these error so that they could correct it at minimal cost but was unable to get any support or assistance from them as unavailable for after sales support.

The customer services is never available either via phone or email. When they do phone you they only let the phone ring once or twice and then hang up so that you have to phone them back on a premium line. When you do call back they say that they are going to transfer you to a different department and then put you on hold for 15 plus minutes (I had to hang up). This is obviously very costly when you are calling the premium number from abroad.

After 6 days of trying to contact them (they do not seem to work on weekends or bank holidays for customer queries {contrary to what is advertised on the website} - only for sales) they promised me that they had booked an item of luggage with the airline for our return trip. However this was not done again so we had to leave the luggage behind in Gran Canaria with a friend to avoid the exorbitant penalties which could easily have been avoided if Holiday Gems had done as promised and completed simple booking online. So all in all our week holiday for a couple cost over £360 (before telephone costs) more than it should have because of Holiday Gems negligence and inefficiency.

I would hate to think what will happen if customers have a problem on holiday as it is impossible to even speak to Holiday Gems let alone get them to resolve any queries / problems etc.

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Gems - travel company (BEWARE)

Yes please please beware, they let you chose flights and accommodation at stated costs, then take your bank details. They then phone you back to say these details have changed, try to make you pay for the holiday, which I did not as they could not supply me the holiday I had chosen from their website, had to argue the toss but I stated I had not agreed to pay anything and had no contract with them, if they could not give me the holiday they were selling I did not want to know. After arguing for a few minutes it was agreed they would cancel my so called reservation. I was suspicious right from the start and luckily had time to look up reviews before my holiday was brought and paid for. I do not like their way of doing business, so if you do not want hassle go elsewhere.

2. Re: Holiday Gems - travel company (BEWARE)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 20, 2014