We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
51 reviews
At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

I noticed this evening that TA has revised the island's name on its forums from Minorca to Menorca . Many will say "at last" of course, but it is very good to see because it reflects the fact that the island is rarely called Minorca even in British holiday brochures anymore, and the fact that Menorca is its correct name anyway

Menorca Regular

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

Good to see. Wonder if Majorca will change to Mallorca?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
110 reviews
2. Re: At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

I'll carry on saying Minorca, Majorca and Spain when I'm speaking English and Menorca, Mallorca and España when I'm speaking Castillian. Certainly won't be saying My-yorka!

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

It is the Ma-Jor-Ka mispronunciation that I grates on my ears Dettorifan , that and "Grassy-A*s* " for thank you!

Sparkybill - re the Majorca v Mallorca forum title thing. I suggest that you keep watching - you never know it may happen because the change on this forum simply morphed yesterday - in the morning it was Minorca, by the evening it was Menorca!

There is a Palma de Mallorca forum within the "Majorca" ones so ..............

Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but for a long time at the airport the announcement for flights to Palma when in English is a man who says 'palma dee madge-orca'. How it grates, it's like being back in the 60s!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
110 reviews
5. Re: At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

Prudie, Yes it does sound strange. Personally am quite happy with the British pronunciation and far less happy with pseudo Spanish. The French stick to Minorque. MenReg, am more in tune with you over the grassy ar*e though! and another bête noir of mine is the overuse of Por favor. I really must get a life!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

I know this isn't a language school forum, but....

I must admit I haven't the faintest idea what might or might not be considered to be "overuse" of "por favour." Any examples?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
110 reviews
7. Re: At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

Yes. To a waiter in English you might say "Please bring me a fork". In Spanish you would say "Tráeme un tenedor" - to add por favor would smack of impatience. In Engish adding 'please' is a form of politeness but not so in other languages. Most often overused when speaking to waiters and barmen when asking for a glass of wine, to a Spaniard adding 'por favor' is a bit like saying ' A glass of wine, if you please, my good man'.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

OK, thanks. I do like to try.....

Cantabria, Spain
Level Contributor
146 posts
194 reviews
9. Re: At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

Dettorifan

When you say to a waiter (any person, no matter who) "traeme un tenedor" you are giving orders, is a very rough way to address someone. Adding "por favor" would be polite. If you dont want use "por favor", the best way is an interrogative form ¿me traes un tenedor? or the most used and common ¿me puedes traer un tenedor? (even more polite)

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
51 reviews
10. Re: At Last - Forum name has changed from Minorca to Menorca!

That is interesting Javi - I know that Dettorifan lived on the island for some time and is very fluent, so this could become an area of disagreement 😉 ( I hope not) .

When I first started lessons a few years ago ( I am now at the "can get by OK" stage but am definitely not fluent) the whole class was taught to simply say "me dar (+ description/quantity of desired purchase) .." when buying stuff from a market stall or shop which we all thought sounded a bit terse, but the teacher never suggested that we add the por favor to the end of the order to soften it down so we never did. I have a different teacher now and will ask her for her view on it on Friday (although she is Columbian so her Castilian is sometimes not always 100% reliable lol)

Get answers to your questions about Menorca