We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truth about Mallorca in January

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Truth about Mallorca in January

Hi TA Forum!

I'd like to go to Mallorca in January. I know--an odd time. But I have vacation time then and I'd like to spend a week on the island just exploring. I've been to lots of parts of Spain but never to any of the islands. Mallorca appeals to me because there is a big city and, from what I understand, lots of pretty little villages. And compared to other parts of Europe, relatively good weather.

For the trip, I'm not expecting to be able to hang out on the beach, but would it be a good enough time weather-wise and otherwise to expect to be able to hang out in Palma, take day trips or overnights to some of the villages (like Deia, Andtrax, Soller, Valldemossa, etc.), and hike, rent bikes, and explore? Or should I expect to get rained on the whole time and to freeze?

We would most likely stay at the Castillo Son Vida. I'm not looking for a super exciting trip--just a trip where I can relax and soak in the sights and scenery, some good eating and drinking, a little shopping, and some reasonable outdoor time. This is a decompressing trip in a beautiful setting--not a trip designed to be one thrill ride after another. But I don't want to be bored, either.

I hear a lot of mixed messages on forums--and some have already closed down regarding Mallorca in January. Some say the little towns will be all closed up in January, too--which is something I'd like to avoid. Any thoughts? Would love some honest opinions. Many thanks,

Benjamin

skelmersdale
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

I have gone to Palma in January for the last 5 years and the weather has been lovely. Chilly in the evening but still a lot better than England . Enjoy

Edited: 3:41 pm, October 24, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

Thanks! Please keep small town recommendations coming! I may have only a few days to explore outside Palma so I want to hear what the priorities are!

Altrincham
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

Hi. We have travelled to Palma for the last 8 years around early Jan. we go for a 3 night city break. Earlier you go you can take in the end of Christmas with the Three Kings Festival and firework displays. At this time of year the sky is clear and allows the sun to penetrate through. For us, it is pleasant enough for the men to walk out in shirt sleeves and ladies without out a coat, you can sit out and have a drink and tapasAround 3pm, the sun becomes dilute and becomes a little chilly, but still very pleasant. Lots to do around Palma. The North of the island is a different story having travelled there for a trip out. All the hotels are boarded up, due weather conditions and sand is blown across pavements. If you want a city break in the south in Jan , Palma is a great place to visit

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
161 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

It's lovely in January. Really beautiful with all the citrus trees in fruit. Fine for exploring, a light jacket is ok during the day but it can be cold at night. We went every winter in my teens and I don't recall any of those trips being spoilt by consistently bad weather. I'm going back with my husband in a couple of weeks, really looking forward to it.

25. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, January 17, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Palma de Mallorca