We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four days - must do places

Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Four days - must do places

Myself and three friends (all 40 plus) are coming to Palma at the start of May from Thursday to Monday. What are the top things to do, places to go and bars and restaurants to visit? It is for a 40th and while a few drinks will be drunk this is not a booze trip, rather a fun break away.

Soller, Valldemossa are two on the agenda but what else? We will not be driving, which we know will limit our options slightly but hopefully not too much. Is the Canyon de la Calobra achievable?

For nightclubs etc I have checked out http://www.palma.com/v/nightlife/ but is there anywhere recommended for bars (most definitely not of the themed variety)?

Again http://www.palma.com/v/restaurants/ but are there any not on the list that those in the know would recommend?

Thanks for any assistance.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four days - must do places

Good spec.Thanks-it helps.

You will need an excursion for Sa Calobra if you don't have a car.Anyway if you have a car you will need to wear your brown trousers to drive there.An unbelievable place especially Torrent de Pareis which you access by cliff path from Sa Calobra.It features in the new film on current general release Cloud Atlas and the summit of the highest mountain of Majorca, Puig Major is in it too.People don't realise how mountainous Majorca is.eg Puig Major is higher then the highest peak in GB Ben Nevis.

I recommend the old train trendesoller Palma-Soller in either direction 1 hr each way.You can go on the old tram from Soller to Pto Soller and back-expensively.As you are based in Palma which is the transport hub I would use the excellent bus service for getting about.Perhaps the Aquarium near Playa de Palma appeals, or the waterparks which open on 1 May.

Nightlife in Palma I cannot help you with.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four days - must do places

Valldemossa, a village in the mountains with Chopin associations, is worth a trip, easily made on the bus from Palma, about a 40 minute ride. Very attractive. A little further along is the village of Deia, very picturesque, much frequented by artists both in the past and now. You can visit Robert Graves's house here.

For a beach near to Palma, you can take a bus along to the small resort of Can Pastilla, a few miles from the city, where you will find a very good beach, cafes and restaurants. Arenal, where the huge Palm Aquarium is located, is a bit further along.

The old streets of Palma, in the area behind the famous Cathedral, are well worth exploring too.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four days - must do places

For one of your day trips, I would highly recommend taking the old train (trendesoller) from Palma to Soller (I, personally, think the views are best appreciated going in that direction). Info at:

http://www.trendesoller.com/en/cms.php

Spend an hour or two in the old town of Soller then take the tram (very expensive at 5 euros, but an experience and nice to do as a one-off) down to the port, where you could spent another hour or so. Then take the bus back to Palma from the port, the scenic way via Deia and Valldemossa, to take in some more fabulous cliff and mountain scenery.

Bus timetables available at:

http://www.tib.org//web/ctm/inici

London
Level Contributor
592 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four days - must do places

Abaco is one of the most famous bars in Palma. it is in the old town, between Jaime 111 st and the sea front, it is only open in the evenings, even then the dooor is not open, so you could miss it, but worth going in as it is an old town house and very well done. Puro hoel also has a very nice bar aea, it is very close to Abaco.

The Santa Catarina area of the city is where the food market is, and is surrounded by lots of restaurants, many of them very good - worth a wander of an evening to choose.

Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four days - must do places

Great advice everyone.

It looks like we might be on a few buses. Are there day/weekend ticket deals or is it a per journey situation?

It sounds like Sa Calobra might be too much effort in such a short visit, maybe next time.

Palma to Soller train is a certainty I think. Is the distance to the Port prohibitive and that is why there is a tram or is it the novelty factor why people take the tram? We will be taking the bus back — how does that work out price difference as I believe €45 is the price for return on the Palma-Soller train.

What's the best waterpark? I once went to a waterpark in Spain where they had lockers but amazingly you were given a paper ticket to get your stuff back - I kid you not. My friend and I looked at each other in bewilderment and had to hide the tickets under a rock until we were finished.

Valldemossa is another certainty I think. Loddington would you consider Can Pastilla the best beach in the near vicinity?

We will also definitely be walking around all the sights in Palma.

I like the sound of Abaco and we will be sure to pop into Puro hoel also. For restaurants we will probably just check prices unless there is one that is currently a don't miss.

I am also trying to work out what should be done when, as our final day is a Sunday. Do things shut, not run on the Sunday? We have full days on Friday and Saturday and arrive in Palma late morning on Thursday but Sunday is a day that we don't want to waste finding out that what we had planned is not running etc.

Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four days - must do places

One thing I did think for the Sunday — Mallorca are away in La Liga but is there a friendly bar where supporters watch the football? Are most games shown live like here? (if you know the right establishment!!)

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
557 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four days - must do places

Hi Ramger, if you look at the link B&PTynemouth put on for the Soller train and click on timetable it will give the times and at the bottom the prices for both the train and tram. I think your 45 Euros is a bit on the high side for the train one way it is 12.50 each and the tram is 5 euros. Not sure on the bus price

but that will not cost much. I would also do it B&PTs way as there are more buses back from there in the afternoons than trains. For 4 of you a taxi would be the cheapest way to the port from Soller but the tram is a nice experience.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four days - must do places

There are no discounted fares on the buses, not even a return ticket, but the prices are quite cheap anyway.

It takes about 45 mins to walk from the centre of Soller to the port if you go the quick (boring) way following the main road. We have done it many times, but I wouldn't want to waste my time doing it if I was just there on a day visit. There are much nicer routes but they take longer and you won't have time to spare.

A taxi (from the rank next to the train station) is about 9 euros, so much cheaper if there are four of you, but the tram is a nice experience. We no longer use it as it is too expensive, but I really would recommend it for a one-off.

You can also take the public bus for just over one euro.

As theshedman says, the train from Palma to Soller, one way, is 12.50 euros. Depending on how you go to the port, it would be 5 euros each on the tram, or 9 euros in a taxi. It's probably not even worth considering the bus as a taxi would be so cheap between four of you.

If you want a very authentic eating experience while in Palma, head to Bar Dia on Calle Apuntadors in the evening. We were there a couple of weeks ago and it was full of locals enjoying tapas and the atmosphere was great.

I would recommend a visit to mercat olivar in Palma on Saturday morning when the fish stalls will be brimming with scores of different varieties of brightly coloured and, some, amazingly ugly fish!

Sunday is probably not the best day to spend in Palma as lots of the shops will be closed and it lacks atmosphere. Bus services are also less frequent at the weekends, so check the timetables carefully. The trendesoller times are the same every day.

algra
Level Contributor
267 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four days - must do places

Hi

We took the early trende soller and then the scenic bus back . We split the journey back to palma by stopping off at Valldemosa , making a long but lovely day. You need to buy tickets for each leg of the journey , can't remember the price but very cheap and they are coaches not rickety old buses. Lovely views along the coast.

palma is lovely , you will have a great time

Al

Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four days - must do places

Thanks everyone. Sounds like Sunday might be a struggle to find something to do.

I will add Bar Dia to the list and mercar olivar sounds worth a quick visit just to see these ugly fish.

Is the 5 euros one way or a return for the tram? Sounds like it would be good to do the train then tram on the way to the Port and then just get the bus back to Palma, probably stopping off at Valldemosa.

Get answers to your questions about Palma de Mallorca