We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American visitors

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
American visitors

I have noticed in the last month or so, unusually, quite a large number of questions being asked by American members (quite a large percentage who are new to TA).

Please don't misunderstand me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this and there is no reason it shouldn't happen.

I was just curious to know if there had been some sort of promotional work going on in the States, or is there some other reason.

Manchester England
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American visitors

whitehorsepeter.................

You took the very words out of my mouth..............................lol....

I have also noticed this, and just as you say............it would be wonderful for visitors to fly all the way from the USA to the small island of Majorca,to experience the many,many beautiful features that can found all around the island..................and then go back and tell their colleagues................

Hopefully the Balearic tourist board maybe helping, by looking further afield for holidaymakers,or does anyone know as Peter has said of any promotional work?

Dani....................have you heard of anything???

MANCHESTER-GOLFER

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: American visitors

Hmm.. good point..

I recently seem to be meeting an increasing number of Americans who are now living here or have second homes here. Many are in the yachting business in one way or another, but I've recently run into a few former rock n' rollers from the LA and Nashville scene. Apparently Majorca has become "hip" within certain circles in the states. I understand Jon Bonjovi recently said some very nice things about Majorca on national TV over there, and perhaps some of it is attention spawned by the success of Nadal. Many Amis are crazy about him (especially women :-).

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American visitors

What would attract even more visitors from Across The Pond is direct flights into PMI from US.I believe there are some to Malaga but this could be to link up with Royal Caribbean cruises starting and finishing at its port.And having tried both during 2010 I can say the cruise terminal in Palma is much nicer and more convenient for the city than Malaga.In fairness there was some re-development of the one in Malaga going on but because of the financial crisis it may have been mothballed.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: American visitors

Here's an interesting article - perhaps the influx of celebs has had some influence on the increased awareness / perception of the Americans:

http://www.balearic-estates.com/news/83/celebrity+status+of+balearic+property

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: American visitors

I heard on the radio this morning that 2010 Majorca tourism statistics have been released, and Majorca tourism from the UK is down -0.9%, and -0.2% from all of Europe, while tourism from the US and Canada is up a whopping 8.9% over the previous year.

One might think this sounds like a big increase, but previously, tourism from the states wasn't hardly measurable, so an increase of 8.9% could mean that only 1000 more Americans visited last year.

In any case, it sounds like something is changing.

York, Pennsylvania
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: American visitors

Interesting topic, I came across this as I am moving to Majorca this summer for work from the US. I had heard of Majorca before from school and have been to Barcelona before for work. Most people that I speak with know Majorca also, some from the Navy, apparently the US Navy stops over in Palma. I have not heard of the celebrity connection other than Katherine Zeta Jones and Micheal Douglas. I already have a long list of people who want to visit! Maybe that will boost your numbers as well! :-) I work as an engineer and will be working from home so I can live anywhere on the island. Anyone have any suggestions for a place to start? I am moving with my wife and daughter who is 10. There are direct flights to Palma from NYC, Philadelphia, Washington DC and maybe more. I just booked some for May and they were about $750usd pp round trip. Had I booked a few weeks ago they were around $600usd round trip.

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American visitors

PAcarguy - What a question you ask, where to start?

It depends on so many things. Budget, rent or buy, quiet or busy place, seaside or inland, mountain area, languages spoken, even broadband connection difficulties.

I asked the original question out of curiosity following a spate of enquiries from the US. I hadn't realised there were so many direct flights available.

Edited: 5:34 am, March 28, 2011
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,637 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American visitors

As this is a travel forum,for people going on holiday, perhaps it isn't the right place to be looking for long term relocation advice.

Can your employers not give any advice?I would assume they already have people located in Majorca?

Edited: 7:50 pm, March 28, 2011
Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: American visitors

Another consideration - if your daughter is 10 years old, presumably she will need to go to school. Unless she is fluent in Mallorquin she will need to go to an international school. Once you have chosen a school, your place of residence may be influenced as to where you choose to live. This is, of course, if you are staying for longer than the summer. For beautiful scenery the west of the island is best and for beaches the east and southeast.

York, Pennsylvania
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: American visitors

I agree with you Annabelle,

I did not mean to hijack this thread. Unfortunately my company does not have anyone on the island, Also I don't know anyone there or have any contacts. I have reviewed the schools and am looking in the Port d' Andratx area to live. Budget is anything under 2000 euro a month. We would like to live in a quite area with less tourist/ nightlife but close to the water. (I know a slight contradiction!) If someone knows of a Majorca forum let me know. I have seen spainexpats.com. Thanks for the info.