We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Americans visiting Majorca...

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Americans visiting Majorca...

We are a couple from New York City and would like to visit Majorca in September. I did a little research and it sounds like it attracts mostly British and German visitors, which is great, but I'm suddenly worried of being stared at because of our American accents, and people presuming we are "dumb American tourists." I probably shouldn't care, but I'm just worried it might affect the experience there.

We are also a mixed race couple... Chinese-American and Caucasian. Because we live in New York City this isn't a problem (it really shouldn't be a problem in 2010), and I've only vacationed in major European cities and the Caribbean so it was never a problem abroad, but I'm suddenly nervous about getting treated strange for appearing different.

Are these things that I should worry about or am I paranoid? I discovered Majorca by chance and it sounded perfect, but these are questions I wanted to get out of the way as well.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Americans visiting Majorca...

I really wouldn't worry, people of all nationalities visit Majorca, and although the majority are European because of the short flight times, I have seen American tourists there so you won't be the first ones!

Majorca is a very friendly place to visit, you really shouldn't have any problems.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
12,602 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Americans visiting Majorca...

JadeJade - all your concerns and worries will prove to be completely unfounded when you get to Majorca. It's a lovely place, with lots of variety, and definitely you will both be made very welcome visitors.

You've done some research and I would extend that to make sure that you select the places to go that are closest to your preferences. Majorca has everything from very active 'party' resorts to very quiet chilled out places - so it's important you head for what best suits you. September is an ideal month to visit, and the weather is great at that time (but less chance of rain & storms the earlier in the month than at the end of the month).

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
3. Re: Americans visiting Majorca...

All absolutely true.

I´d only like to add that I have met more Chinese and other Asian people on the east of the island than anywhere else, although the Americans seem to favour the southwest. The Americans who live here are mostly in the yachting business (an important business here), although you will occasionally find American celebrities like Michael Douglas hanging about from time to time.

In any case, you´ll never have to worry about sticking out . Lots of people here from all over the world, from all walks of life. It´s normal.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Americans visiting Majorca...

I have sent you a PM.

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Americans visiting Majorca...

Just to agree with the other replies. You will have no racial problems.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Americans visiting Majorca...

This is many months later, but thank you all for the replies. We went to Majorca and had a fantastic time...we were treated wonderfully as well. :)

I had 1 strange run-in I think due to how "different" I looked compared to the other hot Germans on the beach, but that's ok! Majorca was great.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
7. Re: Americans visiting Majorca...

Glad you had a great time. I knew you would.

Where did you stay?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Americans visiting Majorca...

We stayed at Hotel Isla Mallorca & Spa. We based it on price, website pictures, amenities, and Palma location. We rented a car, which was necessary to really experience Majorca. We visited almost all the "must visit" coves and it was a blast. I don't know if I'll go back because it's so far from where I am, and there's still so much to still see and do in Spain as a whole, but it was a fun experience. :)

9. Re: Americans visiting Majorca...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:44 am, January 20, 2012