We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nude Beaches - August vs September

South Africa
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Nude Beaches - August vs September

Hi, My hubby and I like going to nude beaches, preferring them to be busy rather than quiet - few things as boring as being almost alone on a beach. We experienced that some traditionally "nude" beaches are busier but unfortunately less nude during August (high season). Is the same true for Formentera? We plan going there in 2nd halve of September. Any recommendations on busier (nude) beaches at this time. Also is there a difference in age spread for Aug and Sep?

Thanks

Newdy

Mentioned in this post
Formentera
Formentera
Balearic Islands, Spain
cleveland
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nude Beaches - August vs September

dont forget to take your suntan lotion, it bad enough forgetting to but it on when your wearing swim wear, id hate to think what its like to forget when your not, lol x

Tamworth
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nude Beaches - August vs September

My wife and I went to formentera last year between 6-20 september. I went nude ,my wife didn't. The top end of Ilietes after the last carpark, Ses Platgetes [Es Calo] and Es Arenals and Es Copinar on Migjorn had a reasonable proportion of nudists. We have just returned from Formentera ,10-24 June and I particularly enjoyed the beautiful tiny cove of Calo des Mort,nearly half being nude. Less beautiful ,but popular with nudists was platja des Canyers, short boardwalk to the beaches at Es Pujols. 21 June weekend must have been the start of the Italian school holidays,because the beaches were flooded with people. The car parks at Ilietes were full and closed. The beach at Cala Saona - beautiful but very few nudists- was jam packed. So, I imagine August would be worse, and with no more naturists than in September.I would definitely opt for September and my favourite was Ilietes. Search 'beach' and Formenteranut has loads of helpful pictures

Mentioned in this post
Migjorn
Migjorn
Formentera, Spain
Formentera
Formentera
Balearic Islands, Spain
Calo Des Mort
Calo Des Mort
376 Reviews
Formentera, Spain
Es Pujols
Es Pujols
Formentera, Spain
Cala Saona
Cala Saona
1,137 Reviews
Formentera, Spain
CapeTown : South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nude Beaches - August vs September

Hi

we spent a week on Formentera mid June this year - what a fabulous experience - also coming from South Africa - no worry about the place being unsafe or overtaken by voyeurs - but watch the deeceptive jelly fish if the wind is blowing from the wrong direction - they sting badly - watch the sensitive spots!!

We limited ourselves to Ses Platgetes [Es Calo) and Mijorn Es Arenals - in Early/Mid June - the beches were already fairly packed - I hate to think what high season of July / August must be like ?? - the mix on these beaches was probably 25% nudists , 25% topless and 50% "textiles" - the nudists intermingling with others but generally finding a better level of privacy on the rocky coves on the sides of the beaches - all very natural and great - ironically the majority of nudists were those probably in their 60's or over . September would probably be similar - but the island is small and I think it could be a bit of a nighmare in high season (particularly eating)

For us the beaches are even more beautiful than the nicest greek beaches - (not so the towns - modern and nonedescript )- next time we take our whole family and chill out - a great place to go

Mentioned in this post
Formentera
Formentera
Balearic Islands, Spain
London
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nude Beaches - August vs September

Hi, almost all the beaches are nude apart from the main town beach at es pujols. some beaches are quiet and some have a lot of people. since formentera is like one huge beach i suggest go for a a walk and see what takes your fancy. you could start at es pujols and walk up the cost to the left, or start at mijnorn and walk either direction. formentera is a wonderful island with beautiful beaches, clear water and a real laidback atitude. i didnt bother wearing a costume during the daylight hours apart from mealtimes. it was amazing. have a great holiday.

South Africa
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nude Beaches - August vs September

Thanks for your replies. We are really looking forward to it. Just can't decide if we should get to Formentera as soon as possible or if we should spend 2-3 days on Ibiza first, before moving on to Formentera for the rest of the week (5days). We will arrive by plane at Ibiza around 7pm and would probably stay at least the night before catching a ferry to Formentera, but wondered if Ibiza would be worth visiting or if we should not waste our time there and go to F asap. Any comments?

Newdy

Mentioned in this post
Formentera
Formentera
Balearic Islands, Spain
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
London
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nude Beaches - August vs September

i would use formentera as a base and go to ibiza on bay trips. ibiza old town for example is very nice. a lot of the better ibiza beaches are a longish drive from the town and they arent as nice as the formentera beaches anyway.....enjoy your hols....

South Africa
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nude Beaches - August vs September

In trying to keep costs low I think we'd rather do Ibiza first before going to Formentera, doing only one ferry crossing instead of two. As things stand now we will arrive the Friday evening, so we think to stay the night and possibly also the Saturday night, leaving for Formentera on the Sunday evening, or maybe earlier the morning, returning to Ibiza the following Saturday enroute home.

Newdy

Mentioned in this post
Formentera
Formentera
Balearic Islands, Spain
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
London
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nude Beaches - August vs September

tell us how the holiday goes....i am envious....next time i go i am tempted to not even pack a swimming costume.

South Africa
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nude Beaches - August vs September

Thanks, I will post a short summary of our trip (September09). We leave for Formentera in exactly one month!!! What a way to break the South African winter's back with a sunny (hopefully) week in the Med. So EXITED!

Newdy

Mentioned in this post
Formentera
Formentera
Balearic Islands, Spain
Lausanne...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nude Beaches - August vs September

Hi there. I went to Formentera last year 2-9 October and it was rather deserted, however more than half of the few people on the beach were nude. prefer es calo, migjorn (arenals section) as well as levant. I am myself planning to go earlier this year (16-25 september) and have chosen a B&B at es calo. Have great fun and don't bother bringing too much luggage, you won't use it. As for Ibiza, not worth it in my mind except for touring the old city.

A.

Mentioned in this post
Formentera
Formentera
Balearic Islands, Spain
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
Get answers to your questions about Formentera