We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Sebastion or Bilboa

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
San Sebastion or Bilboa

Which is a better base to do day trips from? Bilbao- I mean.

Thanks

Edited: 11:43 am, July 28, 2014
Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Sebastion or Bilboa

It depends on your budget and interests and dates. San SebastiAn is more expensive, but more pretty. Bilbao is a hidden gem and close to everywhere of interest (it´d be about one hour drive from Bilbao to almost any point in the BAsque Country).

Greenwood Village...
Level Contributor
138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Sebastion or Bilboa

Agreed, since there are day trips west of Bilbao and east of San Sebastian (France) and south of both, it really depends on where you want to go on your day trips, and which town you prefer to spend your nights in.

As much as I really love Bilbao, San Sebastian would be my first pick, with a couple nights' stay in Bilbao (as discussed in another recent thread).

Or, just split the time... hit Bilbao first, do the western beach cities, then San Sebastian with a day trip to the French side, if you'd like...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Sebastion or Bilboa

Thank you both. Budget is not an issue. I actually have Starwood points for a lovely hotel in San Sebastion. I just don't want to make my base only on the hotel. It sounds like there is plenty to do off of each location.

Thanks

Greenwood Village...
Level Contributor
138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Sebastion or Bilboa

You might find some of the apartments nicer than even the Maria Cristina, FYI.

But yes, you should be pleased with making either location a base. They're both fine cities.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Sebastion or Bilboa

San Sebastian is one of the most beautiful cities on the planet. Almost doesn't seem real on a nice day.

Not much to do but stroll around and marvel at it, stopping often for the amazing food, or going for a swim.

Bilbao is a working city with a lot going on, and also amazing food.

alberta
Level Contributor
562 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Sebastion or Bilboa

Cuthbert , so true!

I always cringe when I read posts of a person being able to *do* San Sebastián in a day ;-)

Like posted above...depends on interests and budget ....

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Sebastion or Bilboa

Motorway links between the two cities is great. I would prefer San Sebastian for its size and proximity to France for easy day trips there.

8. Re: San Sebastion or Bilboa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 01, 2015
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...
More San Sebastian - Donostia Topics