We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine tour

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wine tour

Hi,

My wife and I speak very little Spanish. We would like to rent a car (from San Sebastian) and drive around the Rioja (Haro/Logrono) region, visit a couple of wineries, see the country side- a day trip

I have a few questions

1. Are there any days of the week the wineries are closed ?

2. What are the usual hours of operation

3. How easy is it drive around the area ?

4. How long will it take to drive and get back to San Sebastian ? We are planning on a day trip ?

5. Which wineries do you recommend around the Haro/Logrono area that would can cater to broken Spanish speaking folks ?

6. What would be a good place to have lunch around ?

Thanks

M&M

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine tour

Can't help with any advice on wineries. Driving is easy once you get out of the city centre.

There is an Avis rental desk at Hotel Barcelo Costa Vasca and a Hertz desk at the Garbera shopping centre (probably the easier of the two for access to the motorway.

Route-wise I would suggest driving via Pamplona (something like this: https://goo.gl/maps/mlXun) on the way to La Rioja and then driving via Vitoria on the way back.

Edited: 4:30 am, June 30, 2014
Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine tour

I visit the area quite often, so I´ll try to answer most of your questions:

1. Are there any days of the week the wineries are closed ? Yes, but it really depends on the winery and the season. It´s not the same thing in winter or in spring or during harvest, so I´d recommend to check in advance.

2. What are the usual hours of operation. It also depends on the winery, but 11 am to 17pm would be a standard, with about three of four visits in between. For example, a small private winery that I visit opens just once a day, as a standard...the big ones offer severar tour options and are more crowded.

3. How easy is it drive around the area ? Very easy, well signed and excellent but winding roads.

4. How long will it take to drive and get back to San Sebastian ? We are planning on a day trip ? Around one hour and a half one way.

5. Which wineries do you recommend around the Haro/Logrono area that would can cater to broken Spanish speaking folks ? It depends on your likings...if looking for something small or big, more private or more public....many offer tours in English. I like those around Laguardia and Labastida.

6. What would be a good place to have lunch around ? I like Héctor Oribe in Páganos and Amelibia in Laguardia.

Hope it´s been of some help!

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine tour

I agree with Mikel in almost everything but one, On hour and a half is SS-Haro if you are going to other places in Rioja. (count it two hours).

If you take the Pamplona road then is 2 hours 30 minutes. I did last month for a tour.

Finally with winetours you need a person who is not drinking otherwise it can be pretty risky, specially from such a long distance. If you can't hire someone for that consider getting a place for a night in Rioja area better and make your stay in SS a day shorter.

Edited: 9:02 am, June 30, 2014
4. Re: Wine tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 02, 2015