We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona/Rioja/Basque Country

NY,NY
1 post
Save Topic
Barcelona/Rioja/Basque Country

Hello all - I am looking for advice as to how to divide one week, with so many places we would like to see. My husband & I are traveling to Northern Spain next month. We are arriving in Barcelona 4/26 & departing Bilbao 5/3. We definitely want to spend some time in San Sebastian.

We realize that this is a very short trip, but would like to see a bit of the Basque country & have an acquaintance in Lekeitio.

Open for suggestions - should we take a train to Bilbao/San Sebastian & rent a car for day trips?

Suggestions for towns to see - Haro?

How much time should we spend in each place?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regina

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona/Rioja/Basque Country

Hi mcmmm,

I think that having a rental car in the area is a good idea. If you are into wine, I would definitely recommend you to stop in la Rioja. Haro or Laguardia are both quaint towns worth a visit.

About how much time to spend at each place, in my opinion 1 - 2 nights in San Sebastian and 1 - 2 nights in Bilbao is ok. Enjoy the drive by the Basque coast and don't miss the visit to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe:

euskoguide.com/places-basque-country/…

Lekeito has a really beautiful beach, making it for a nice stop. If you have time for stopping at another town in the coast, I would recommend you Getaria:

euskoguide.com/places-basque-country/…

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona/Rioja/Basque Country

You only have 7 nights. 4 nights will be short for Barcelona especially since you'll likely be jetlagged. But I'd probably budget 4 nights for Barcelona and 3 for San Sebastian. Frankly I'd skip a car rental and fly from Barcelona to San Sebastian or Bilbao. Given you won't arrive in San Sebastian until at least mid-day and if you only have 3 nights then you'll really only have 1 day for daytripping. You could rent a car for just a day and explore the coastal area including a drive to Lekeitio. I just don't think you have time to also head down to La Rioja. 7 nights would be good just for the Basque country and La Rioja - a couple of nights in La Rioja, a couple along the coast and 3 nights in San Sebastian. But if you're already locked into flying into Barcelona there's just not time to do it all.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,270 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona/Rioja/Basque Country

Regina:

For trains:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Haro is a town with a population of about 12,000, about 44 km from Logroño. Its main industry is the production of wines, and there are many bodegas in the town, which attract tourists. It calls itself the capital of La Rioja. The Ebro River and the Tiron River are adjacent to the town. There are records that show its existence in Roman times. Diego Lopez de Haro and his family have ruled the town since 1093. The town installed electric street lights in 1891, being the first town in Spain to have these. Jerez de la Frontera, also a center of wine production, was also the other first town to have the electric street lights. The land contains plenty of limestone, and the good climate has allowed the production of quality wine. The landscape shows rolling hills dotted with vineyards. Haro has been noted to have produced wine since the 14th century. On June 29 there is the celebration of the feast day of San Pedro and the Battle of Wine takes place on a hill near Haro called Riscos de Bilibio. Thousands of tourists come to the town for this event, which has been declared as of National Touristic Interest by the government.

4. Re: Barcelona/Rioja/Basque Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:32 am, March 24, 2015
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...
More San Sebastian - Donostia Topics