We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cider Houses

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Cider Houses

We will be in Northern Spain from Feb 16-25, spending 5 nights in Donostia and 3 nights in Elciego. We are flying in to and out of Bilbao. From my research, it looks like we will be there during Cider season, and we would love to go to some. Do you have any recommendations of cider houses either between Bilbao and Donostia, between Donostia and ElCiego, or near Donostia? Obviously, we want good cider and good food. We prefer quieter, more mellow places when possible, but are willing to deal with crowds for good food.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,687 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cider Houses

The city with plenty of cider places is Oviedo.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cider Houses

Benny, you may not be aware of the fact that the Basque Country also produces good cider, similar to the one in Asturias but a bit more acid in taste. Cider season starts now in January and ends by April. Cider is poured directly from huge barrels in the cider farmhouses, not from bottles, and there´s a fixed menu (normally consisting of a cod omelette, fried cod, a t-bone steak, walnuts and cheese...and of course as much cider as you can drink. Price is around 30-35 eur per person. There´s music, people sitting in long benches and tables (or even standing most of the time, but never ever individual tables), singing and a lot of fun and local atmosphere. For more info on Cider houses (Basque Country), check www.sidrerias.ws (not in English, though).

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cider Houses

www.sagardotegiak.com, available in English (Sagardotegia is a cider house, in Basque). Cider houses in Gipuzkoa.

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cider Houses

Here also some more information and pictures about the Basque cider houses:

euskoguide.com/food-drink-basque-country/sag…

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cider Houses

Between the coast and Elciego you have Vitoria, my town, in Vitoria there are some very nice Cider Houses although they are more tipical from the coast we have taken the ir ways. So it could be arranged to visit Vitoria and then eat at a nice cider house. Either one way or the other.

Edited: 1:11 pm, January 24, 2014
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cider Houses

Thanks, I'm looking at all the websites (although it is a bit overwhelming!). I will specifically look at the cider houses in Vitoria since it sounds like they will be on the way.

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cider Houses

In Vitoria the best ones are in the village of Armentia at the outskirts of town specially good is LA SIDRE.

As well In Los Huetos or Lasarte other two nearby tiny villages you find nice sidrerías.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
317 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cider Houses

First, there are many cider houses outside of San Sebastian in the towns of Hernani and Astigarraga. It is a very short drive to either town.

There is a small Basque Cider museum in Astigarraga. There is a short tour, and they do a small tasting afterwards. They explain the process in detail. When I went, they had two sidras in barrels for "txotx". They had about 30 different bottles for purchase, too. The best selection of anywhere in the area for sidra. You can visit during the day.

http://www.sagardoetxea.com/en/

Petritegi is one of the larger, and more commercial, sidra houses. But, they do the cider dinner and txotx year-round. Last I checked, it was about $28 Euro for a giant meal and sidra that doesn't stop flowing.

http://www.petritegi.com/

I went to Iretza for lunch and it was a cool place. They have a small cafe for lunch, and a large dining room for the full dinner. I would love to go back and have dinner. Tables are set up in the giant sidra barrels.

http://www.iretza.com/

Troya Ibilbidea 25 Astigarraga, Spain 20115 (address on Google maps. the place is in a warehouse district, but was on the main street. It really was easy to get to.)

There are so many others, too. They do sometimes have weird hours depending on the season. Hopefully this link works, but RateBeer.com keeps a fantastic map of all the sidra houses.

www.ratebeer.com/beermap…

9. Re: Cider Houses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 16, 2015
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...
More San Sebastian - Donostia Topics