We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation near/in San Sebastian - with car, ultra budget

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation near/in San Sebastian - with car, ultra budget

Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of planning a 3 month trip around Europe and would like to see some of Northern Spain. I have read about San Sebastian, Bilbao and La Rioja. Accommodation seems to be the trickiest part at the moment. We (my partner and I) have booked a Eurolease car so the typical cheap central city hostels are becoming impossible :(. Our budget is very minimal. Preferably less than 40€ for both of us per night.

Some ideas so far.

1) Holiday homes

ie this one coloursofspain.com/propertydetail.php…

Though I don't like the idea of dealing with a person vs. a company/business.

2) Stay in hostel and put car in parking building

Expensive and seems pointless to pay for a car to keep it in a building

3) Stay in a nearby town and bus into San Sebastian if we want to.

Such as Getaria - found this hotel tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1064419-d17620…

Or Zarautz has a hostel too - no price online - does anyone know?

So I'm leaning towards number 3 at the moment...

Questions:

1. Does anybody know of any hotels or hostels within my price range that maybe don't have a big online presence? Near Getaria, Zarautz, San Sebastian or another nice town (ideally near the beach and west of San Sebastian)

2. Are Getaria or Zarautz as nice as San Sebastian? (We would like a beach to swim and sunbathe, cheap but good local food/wine and nice scenery)

Sorry its a bit of a novel, but any advice would be appreciated!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
54,998 posts
3,462 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation near/in San Sebastian - with car, ultra budget

Hannah:

I have done a day trip to Getaria from San Sebastian to see the Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. It is a nice little town by the sea and you can swim there. However no beach in the north of Spain can compare with the Playa de la Concha Beach in San Sebastian for beauty.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation near/in San Sebastian - with car, ultra budget

Thank you very much for your reply! So no skipping La Concha then! That's good to know!

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation near/in San Sebastian - with car, ultra budget

Although I agree that you should not skip la Concha, if you have time, I would still recommend you to visit Getaria (since you have already found accommodation there, it would not be a bad idea to stay there).

The beaches are also nice, and less crowded than in San Sebastian or Zarauz.

Also you mentioned that you are interested in the local wine. Then, Getaria is the perfect place for degustation of the local white wine, called txakoli. Here you find some more information and pictures:

euskoguide.com/places-basque-country/coast/s…

euskoguide.com/blog/…

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation near/in San Sebastian - with car, ultra budget

The beach in Zarautz is very large so no competing for space if you are coming during a busy period. In the opposite direction from San Sebastian (towards France) there is also Hondarribia, a nice small fishing town and Irun, more industrial but might be cheaper.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation near/in San Sebastian - with car, ultra budget

I think we will probably stay in Getaria or Zarautz and visit San Sebastian via public transport. Splitting time between the two.

Thank you very much for your help.

And thank you for the websites patri

Hannah

6. Re: Accommodation near/in San Sebastian - with car, ultra budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 07, 2015