We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

daytrip to Bearitz- bus? train?

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
utah
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
daytrip to Bearitz- bus? train?

Hello. Looking forward to first visit to San Sebastian.

What are the transport options from San Sebastian to Bearitz? By train? By Bus?

Is the bus reliable? I've seen posts saying that the bus didn't show up so they have to cab it to San Seb late in the day. I'm leaning towards the train. Please help. Will be there 2nd week of Sept.

Gracias.

JM

Edited: 7:23 pm, August 25, 2013
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: daytrip to Bearitz- bus? train?

The questions at the top right of this page (third one down) outline public transport options to Biarritz.

Train is great but involves two trains and a bus.

alberta
Level Contributor
559 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: daytrip to Bearitz- bus? train?

I have been to Biarritz 3 times from SS and each time enjoyed the train (day trips)

a change at border ... super simple as the two stations share a parking lot really .. then once in Biarritz there are buses waiting at the train station to take you where you want to go for another euro or two

heaps of trains on the Spanish side...not as many on the French side but still plenty

the first trip, years ago, I was unclear on the bus once I was on it... the driver was very kind and stopped to ask where I wanted to be .... he helped me find my bearings ... I found most in Biarritz to be very helpful

one of my fav day trips from san sebastian

:-)

utah
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: daytrip to Bearitz- bus? train?

Thanks Alberta, what kind of train will get me from San Sebastian to border? Is that the Euskotrain or another train? Can you give me the name? And what town or where in the Spain/France border do you change train? Where do you get off to change trains?

Once in Biarritz, we have to take a bus to Biarritz city center?

Thanks.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: daytrip to Bearitz- bus? train?

You get the Euskotren (now called the Metro Donostialdea) from the Amara station in San Sebastian to Hendaia (Hendaye in French): metrodonostialdea.com/public_home/ctrl_home.…

After you exit the train you cross the border without passport control on foot. Walk across the car park to the SNCF station and catch a train to Biarritz Gare La Négresse.

At Gare La Négresse leave the station and there is a bus stop directly outside. The buses are operated by http://www.chronoplus.eu and you need line A1 to Biarritz centre, it might say "Biarritz Mairie" on the front of the bus.

alberta
Level Contributor
559 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: daytrip to Bearitz- bus? train?

Yes ...it really is that simple .. it sounds a bit challenging with having to change stations but they are that close

for the french train timetables http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ .. you will change in Hendaye (also listed as Hendaia)

for the train from san sebastian www.euskotren.es/es/viaja/horarios/tren

remember that San Sebastian is also listed as Donostia on many timetables ...and that the scheds are not all listed in alphabetical order... so you need to scroll down for the Donostia-San Sebastian info

You really dont need to worry on the trains from San Sebastian and back as there are many on the schedule ... when you click on the euskotren link ... click on *Hendaia-Lasarte* to find your schedule

euskotren.es/sites/www2.euskotren.es/files/H… (not sure is this link will work)

You just leave the tiny Spanish station and walk across the parking lot to the larger French station ... get your tickets...and if you have time... there is a really great little Boulangerie right across the street from the French station.. it is simple.. a red sign... but very good pastry, or a croque monsier that they will heat and wrap in foil for your trip ;-)

the bus is super easy once in Biarritz ..there are large maps when you exit train station ... Biarritz has the most amazing walkways along the beach and a beautiful shopping area with great shops and restaurants if so desired ...

the first trip I was a little confused as how to find the bus back to train station vbut the bus stops are color coded and marked very well

have fun !!!

utah
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: daytrip to Bearitz- bus? train?

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH Biarritz Transfers and Alberta. Now I know what to do.

7. Re: daytrip to Bearitz- bus? train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 31, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...
More San Sebastian - Donostia Topics