We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jazzaldia Tips

ga
Level Contributor
222 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Jazzaldia Tips

Thinking of going to Jazzaldia this year.

Any tips on going?

Also best areas to stay?

Looking for reasonable rates possibly hostel or bnb or apt.

Planning on going to a lot of free concerts.

Hoping to get away from the heat of the south.

Thanks!

Edited: 2:50 pm, July 12, 2013
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jazzaldia Tips

There are lots of pensions in the city so you'll find some prices inbetween hotel and hostel. Also look at the various apartment rental websites for apartments though all accommodation will be expensive during Jazzaldia.

ga
Level Contributor
222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jazzaldia Tips

Is this a good timeto go or is the city crazy during jazzaldia? Is it anything like going to the Montreux Jazz festival? There were a lot of people there but it never seemed packed.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jazzaldia Tips

I have also visited Montreux during their Jazz festival and there are probably less people in San Sebastian (it is not as well known). It is a busy time in the city though as it is peak season.

ga
Level Contributor
222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jazzaldia Tips

Thanks for the info. Still deciding on whether to go or not. Finding that housing is very expensive.

Looked into apt renting but the apts I've found are for 8-10 people. This is just for my husband and I.

Hotels are limited or very expensive. Hostals are even 30 euros a person for a dorm bed. Have never stayed in a hostal before but have heard they are can be fine.

Would love to know from a local or person staying there now their opinion of Jazzaldia?

Worth going for all days or just 1 or 2.

Planning on combining it with a trip to Bilbao to see the Guggenheim.

We live in the south so also trying to get a break from the heat.

Thanks

Edited: 9:11 am, July 16, 2013
ga
Level Contributor
222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jazzaldia Tips

Weather is showing 30-40% chance of rain for festival.

What happens for outdoor shows?

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jazzaldia Tips

I was there for Jazzaldia, and really enjoyed it and will likely return next year for the festival (I'm writing this on the assumption that you didn't end up attending). The city was packed anyway--I don't know how much Jazzaldia added to it. It's an interesting festival--a few big names with lesser-known up-and-coming groups mixed in. I learned a lot by attending. I did a mix of paid and free concerts, and caught some after hours shows at Altxierri and Be Bop. You need to plan early for this festival, which I didn't but I did manage to get a moderately priced pension kind of late (I think I booked it at the end of May, which is considered late). Next year I'll likely book something in January, and will try to get an apartment for a week's stay. About the rain--in the second half of the festival there was rain during the concerts, but they carry on, and Heineken hands out green ponchos. The rain never lasted long and didn't seem to affect the performances. I've never been to any other jazz festival's in Europe, so I can't compare, but I used to attend the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage festival regularly, and Jazzaldia is the opposite of that. I don't know what Mointreux is like.

7. Re: Jazzaldia Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 02, 2014