We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

Debating between these two pensions for a week and a half stay in high season (both amazingly have room). Santa Clara is less expensive, is closer to the beach, might be noisier, but it will cost about $200 less for the whole stay. Bellas Artes seems a tad nicer, but costs more, is a little farther from the beach ... could someone who is familiar with either of these lodgings offer an opinion. Stay is for about 9 nights. I had also written to several other places, but these were the best that had room for my stay, and I've pretty much pared it down to these two. I did contact a ton of places. It's a tough squeeze in July. Thanks so much for any help.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

I have had clients who regularly stay at Pension Bellas Artes. They really like the owners and the area is nice (although the road outside can be a but noisy).

Pension Santa Clara is much nearer the main area for all of the action. This means easier access to bars and beach but will be noisier.

Some information from the forum about Pension Bellas Artes: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187457-i622-k61…

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

Thanks. As a New Yorker I have a high tolerance for noise (there's incredible shouting going on right outside my window as I type that I barely notice). I'm just wondering whether the Bellas Artes is so much nicer than the Pension Santa Clara that it justifies the greater expense (about $200 more for the entire stay). Thanks again for you help.

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
214 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

I read on Rick Steves' website that Pension Bellas Artes closed, and their website seems to have gone offline. Can anyone confirm where this is true?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

I also heard some rumours about Pension Bellas Artes. Next time I am San Sebastian I will go and knock on their door and see what happens.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

Pension Bellas Artes has very small rooms and is next to a disco. I could not sleep on Friday or Saturday because they party until 6 am at discos in Spain. Every other night of the week was fine. It gets high reviews because the owner and her mother are two of the nicest people I've ever met and made our stay so much more great because of that. I hope they didn't close, BT please let us know if they are still there.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

Went to Pension Bellas Artes tonight and had to park quite badly on the street as there was no 'proper' parking available. Spoke to a Spanish guy on the intercom who let me upstairs and there were people coming and going so it seems to be business as usual. Unfortunately the man only spoke Spanish and I don't so couldn't explain myself properly. Plus, with the way the van was parked I didn't want to hang around for too long.

I'll go back again soon. Does anyone know the name of any members of staff who speak English?

alberta
Level Contributor
562 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

Interesting. I wonder if it sold. Will be curious to hear if Leire & Carmen are still there. Leire spoke about selling it a few years back and her and her mum had worked such long hours.

I spoke briefly with Leire last year and she was very involved with other interests as well. Her and her mum (Carmen) made the place as Cuthbert said. Without them it could never be the same

alberta
Level Contributor
562 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

Interesting. I wonder if it sold. Will be curious to hear if Leire & Carmen are still there. Leire spoke about selling it a few years back and her and her mum had worked such long hours.

I spoke briefly with Leire last year and she was very involved with other interests as well. Her and her mum (Carmen) made the place as Cuthbert said. Without them it could never be the same

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

Could you describe what either Leire & Carmen looked like? I'm going there again this afternoon and will ask if I can speak to either one.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pension Bellas Artes or Pension Santa Clara?

Well I tried to go just now but had to park badly on the street again. I buzzed the intercom but nobody answered and a parking warden was on his way down the street so I had to abort the mission.