We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Basque Region

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Basque Region

Hi folks, just looking for some help. My wife and I are looking to go to the region for 7-10 days. My friends highly recommend it to us. Is 7-10 days too long to spend in San Sebastian???We will fly into Bilbao or Biarritz and base ourselves in SS in a self catering apartment and sight see from here? What do you think? Should be stay in different places or do day trip from there. We would like to have the option of the beach also, we will be using public transport.

Any advice would be great.

UK
Level Contributor
164 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Basque Region

I have just spent 5 days in San Sebastian. It's a wonderful city, though the weather has been foul ( reminds me of my childhood days in Kerry).

If I had my time again I would spend one night in Bilbao and visit the Guggenheim. I think 4 days here will be plenty, though, if the weather was lovely I doubt I would ever leave!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Basque Region

I'm a big fan of both Biarritz and San Sebastian. If you were going to stay in just one then San Sebastian is the place to be for food and drink. Also consider Saint Jean de Luz for a few nights.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Basque Region

Some of this depends on you. There's a lot to be said for having a base,and not switching lodging every few days. And it's nice to stay in an apartment -- sometimes it's so much more economical than hotels that you can do overnights elsewhere while keeping the apartment and not have it be overly expensive. If you're what they call "slow travelers," you might like that approach.

I've spent longer in places smaller than San Sebastian and never ran out of things to do. But then I'm a slow traveler who likes to hang out. .

Wellington, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Basque Region

Our family just spent 5 nights in the region as part of a longer trip, and enjoyed 3 nights in Zarautz for a slower pace, and 2 nights in Bilbao. We used the Euskotren train service and found them very reliable. Even in mid-May on our first day in Spain when severe weather meant trains were not running from San Sebastian to Zarautz, a free replacement bus service dropped us in Zarautz. We did a day trip back to San Sebastián, and enjoyed the pintxos bars and the Funicular rail. It wasn't quite warm enough for swimming, but the sunbathers were out in force on the beach.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,068 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Basque Region

Stout:

I would spend more time in Bilbao because that city has so many interesting sights besides the Guggenheim Museum. Read the top questions in the Bilbao forum.

Ireland
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Basque Region

Thanks for the help folks, well we have our flights picked.

Fly into Bilbao on 25th and out of Santander on July 4th..so now to pick our itinerary???? Stay in San Sebastian and travel from there or spend a few days in certain areas??Anybody any ideas on how to spend 9 nights?

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
31 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Basque Region

I'd divide your time equally between San Sebastian and Bilbao. From there, you can take day trips to interesting destinations such as Getaria, Zumaia, Astigarraga...

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Basque Region

5 night in San Sebastian, 2 in Lekeitio and 2 in Santander.

9. Re: Visit to Basque Region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 06, 2014