We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hendaye to San Sebastian

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Hendaye to San Sebastian

When booking for a reservation for Lourdes to San Sebastian, RailEurope suggested I can take Lourdes to Hendaye on a regional train and then take Hendaye to San Sebastian via Euskotren. I was trying to get the schedule of the train but when I type in Oct. 15, 2012 between 9:15 pm and 9:30 pm, I can't seem to get a match. The train from Lourdes to Hendaye is scheduled to arrive on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm.

The Euskotren site unfortunately does not have English version. I wanted to know if I can purchase the ticket in advance and if yes, how or where from. If the ticket can only be purchased at the station, would this be only through ticket machines?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hendaye to San Sebastian

Here is the timetable for Hendaye to San Sebastian.

euskotren.es/sites/…20Zumaia-Hendaia.pdf

You cannot purchase your ticket in advance. Can't remember if there are manned ticket desks at the Euskotren station in Hendaye but there are ticket machines. The journey costs €1.80 (I think).

California
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hendaye to San Sebastian

Thank you for replying so quickly. This is helpful!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hendaye to San Sebastian

It is just so easy. When you walk out of the SNCF station at Hendaye, turn right walk 10 metres and there is a platform and ticket window for the metro to San Sebastián. It takes about 30 minutes, costs about 2euro, Hendaye is one end of the line and San Seb is the other end, so you can't go wrong. They appear to go every twenty minutes or so.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hendaye to San Sebastian

San Sebastian's Amara station isn't the end of the line for the Euskotren service, in fact it goes as far as Bilbao.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hendaye to San Sebastian

I trust your comment that the Euskotren service goes as far as Bilbao, however when I did catch it from Hendaye last week, that particular service runs up against the buffers at Amara station, so I call that the end of that line. Perhaps that was a one off occurrence and if so I apologise for any confusion.

It is often difficult for tourists not speaking the local language to know when they are at their destination so itis good to know that they can sit on the train until it terminates.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hendaye to San Sebastian

I should also have been clearer. The trains at the Amara station do go up to the buffers but they then carry on (backwards if you like) to Bilbao.

I also took a photo of the distance at Hendaye between stations which you described above: flickr.com/photos/…set-72157631292468096

7. Re: Hendaye to San Sebastian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...
More San Sebastian - Donostia Topics