We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is San Sebastian like?

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
Level Contributor
161 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Where is San Sebastian like?

Saw San Sebastian on a Rick Stein programme last year and thought it looked amazing. Also just been voted one of the top food destinations in the world by Which Holiday magazine.

We might be going as a couple or with our 2 sons who will be 15 and 18 - they are well used to city breaks but I am just wondering where else is it like?

We do not speak Spanish at all - will that be a drawback?

Thanks

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is San Sebastian like?

This question came up last year:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187457-i622-k47…

It is also twinned with Plymouth and many other cities around the world. I don't know what criteria need to be filled for a city to be a 'twin'.

You don't need to speak Spanish as many people will speak English and/or French and Basque. Some few simple phrases would come in handy though.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,737 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is San Sebastian like?

JEWE:

All the people connected with the tourist business speak English.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
317 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is San Sebastian like?

My wife compared it to a combination of Paris and Cape May, New Jersey. Assuming you've never been to New Jersey, think of a smaller, and upscale, beach town. Mix a little bit of city flare in there, and you have San Sebastian. Quiet, but still booming, if that is possible.

I do know that it has been our favorite place we've visited so far in our travels.

As for English, you'll be fine. Learn a few spanish or basque words, to be friendly, then ask if they speak english in spanish or basque. A simple "kai-show" (hello, in basque) can go a long way.

4. Re: Where is San Sebastian like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 02, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...
More San Sebastian - Donostia Topics