We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

low-key restaurants in San Sebastian

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
351 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
low-key restaurants in San Sebastian

We arrive in San Sebastian on Friday after a long trans-atlantic flight, transfer and drive. We have reservations at some suitably top restaurants like Akelarre, but I'm looking for a place, in town, where we can enjoy a low-key dinner the first night. 3 out of 4 of us enjoy challenging food, but one member of the family prefers simpler things--grilled fish, etc. We're not looking to sit for 3 hours making our way through a tasting menu...and yet, we'd like to start our trip with a restaurant that celebrates good regional cuisine. Hitting the Pintxos bars might be too physically taxing after the long flight. We're staying in an apt. near La Concha. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: low-key restaurants in San Sebastian

I was recommended to go to Agorregi by a very reliable source.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: low-key restaurants in San Sebastian

I like Kokotxa or Nerua...for about 30 euros you should have an excellent dinner.

Level Contributor
351 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: low-key restaurants in San Sebastian

My husband is pushing for Kokotxa, but looking at their menu it feels a bit "high stakes". Looks good, but challenging. Plus their rank here on TA is middle of the pack. We are eating at Bogedon Alejandro later in the trip, but that probably would have been better for our initial meal out.

I'm concerned that Aggoregi is a bit out of the way when we're trying to keep things easy.

Any thoughts on La Fabrica or Gandarias Taberna (the restaurant)? We'd like to be able to leave gracefully if one of us starts to nod off (been known to happen)

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: low-key restaurants in San Sebastian

www.lamadamesansebastian.com/lamadame.html, another very good option. And if you just want to taste real homemade food...try the menú del día, for about 12 euros including wine you can have it at most restaurants (weekdays).

5. Re: low-key restaurants in San Sebastian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 am, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...
More San Sebastian - Donostia Topics