We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to San Sebastian

Level Contributor
159 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to San Sebastian

We'll be visiting the South of France this spring and would like to spend a couple days in San Sebastian. Is it easy to drive there from France?

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to San Sebastian

What problems may you foresee? I just don´t understand the question...

Level Contributor
159 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to San Sebastian

I don't forsee any problems. That's why I asked the question.

I wondered about the roads--are they like traveling on the Autoroute in France, or more like mountain highways in tha Alps. Is there a parking problem in San Sebastian --should I plan to book a hotel that offers parking.

How long should I plan on for a trip from Bordeaux to SS. Do the highways tend to get clogged with traffic (late May) or is an easy drive. Not sure what to expect since I've never driven in Spain.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to San Sebastian

Just relax and take it easy, it´s a straight highway on a plain, except when approaching SS...but still a highway. Allow two and a half, maybe three with one stop, hours from Bordeaux to SS. Roads are simply excellent.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to San Sebastian

Roads are excellent, tolls are expensive. I would find a parking lot, leave your car there and take a cab to the hotel.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
76 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to San Sebastian

we drove to san sebastian and it was not a problem. Once IN san sebastian itself the driving was very difficult. Traffic, one ways streets. Our B&B did not have parking so we parked in a public lot (about 30dollars/day). no problem but had to drag our suitcases and felt a little leery about leaving rental car there for 3 days, but no one messed with it. 2 days in San Sebastian is fine. You are going primarily to eat, I assume. Everything is within walking distance, and a lot of walking is imperative to help make room for more food. If you find a hotel with parking that would be good. We ducked into the Hotel Parma to get directions when we were trying to find our place and my brief look around looked pretty nice, and they were pleasant. It is a good location, and I noticed they have parking, price is reasonable and they seem to get decent reviews, so just a thought. Enjoy your tapas!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to San Sebastian

I should also say to watch out for queues at the border. There is a toll booth here as well as optional passport checks so it can get quite congested.

You can get live traffic info here:

http://www.vinci-autoroutes.com/service-info-trafic-temps-reel-@/108/view-42-service.html

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to San Sebastian

Let me try that link again:

autoroutes.fr/en/Realtime-traffic-informatio…

Puerto Rico
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to San Sebastian

Are you renting a car? Check if you are permited to cross border with it. A couple of years ago my husband try to rent a car in the south of france and asked about returned in Barcelona and the company wanted to charged a one thousand fee just for crossing the border>

Level Contributor
159 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to San Sebastian

Crossing borders is allowed. I've done it many times. The time it could cost you significant money is if you rent in one country and return the car in a different country.

10. Re: Driving to San Sebastian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:43 pm, June 18, 2013