We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine trip to La Rioja from San Sebastian

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wine trip to La Rioja from San Sebastian

Do you have any recommendations on doing a wine trip from San Sebastian to La Rioja? We'd prefer not to drive ourselves so were hoping there were some affordable options for a guided tour, driver or public transportation. Thank you!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine trip to La Rioja from San Sebastian

Your options are limited. You can reach Laguardia or Logroño by bus, connecting through Vitoria-Gasteiz, or through Pamplona. This can take 3 to 4 hours, one-way.

There is a Wine Bus (Enobús) that departs from Vitoria-Gasteiz that visits parts of the Rioja Alavesa, and another (Vinobús) that leaves from Logroño, covering some bodegas in the Rioja Alta.

rutadelvinoderiojaalavesa.com/en/enobus.php

www.lariojaturismo.com/vinobus/

A private guided tour of the Rioja (with car and driver) from San Sebastian, would be around €1400 for the day, for up to 6 people. A guided tour from Laguardia or Logroño, would be somewhat less, the cost would depend on the number of people in your group. Needing an English speaking guide/driver would be a little more expensive in both cases.

You'll need to make reservations at any of the bodegas you plan on visiting and might be interested in downloading a copy of Maribel's Guide to the Rioja for more information (www.maribelsguides.com). It will help with your planning.

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine trip to La Rioja from San Sebastian

Thanks so much for the suggestions. It sounds like this isn't as easy to do as I thought. Is there a closer wine region to San Sebastian that I may not be aware of? Thanks again.

alberta
Level Contributor
559 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine trip to La Rioja from San Sebastian

great question !

please check back on a reg basis as many will add links...might take a few days though..the smaller forums are dif from larger cities

Robert is an excellent resource, :) , and we are lucky to get his posts !!, often people there living in the area will post as well...

Over the last couple years..I have heard a few dif options... it looks like a two hour drive but much dif once doing it... I am currently looking at a few options myself for my trip back soon... will post any updates when I get them

till then, it is nice that local chefs do the tour work for you

One very nice thing about San Sebastian bamchugh ~ is that San Sebastian is an epicurian retreat for many...rightly so...and great food and great wine are not often far apart

you will be surprised going into what looks like a simple pintxos bar...and seeing/having great pairings before you

I put Spain far above many places for good wine...esp San Sebastian.... there are many places that feature the wonderful rioja vino in this city... and they are just a few euros... so dif from north america

I dont want to get started on my local suggestions as it is not related to your original Q but feel free to ask if so inclined ;)

Happy Planning :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine trip to La Rioja from San Sebastian

Yes, there are several excellent bodegas in Navarra including Señoría de Otazu, (www.otazu.com/), Bodegas Irache (www.irache.com/), Bodega Inurrieta (www.bodegainurrieta.com/), Bodegas Chivite (www.chivite.com/) and Pago de Larrainzar (www.pagodelarrainzar.com).

You can check one of the main list at: www.vinosnavarra.com/en/. There are more if you do a little more research. Señoría de Otazu has long been our favorite. We were married there in the summer of 2007, the week before the fiesta.

There are also wineries in the Pays Basque and around Getaria. But you will need reservations where ever you plan on going. Several bodegas will be closed during the harvest season as everyone will be out working in the fields or in the cellars.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,131 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine trip to La Rioja from San Sebastian

Last September I went on a tour of La Rioja and enjoyed it. It is difficult to see La Rioja without a car because the towns are small and it may be hard to find buses going to them. Also to visit the wineries, you need reservations. Many may be closed for vacation.

Haro

Haro is a town with a population of about 12,000, about 44 km from Logroño. Its main industry is the production of wines, and there are many bodegas in the town, which attract tourists. It calls itself the capital of La Rioja. The Ebro River and the Tiron River are adjacent to the town. There are records that show its existence in Roman times. Diego Lopez de Haro and his family have ruled the town since 1093. The town installed electric street lights in 1891, being the first town in Spain to have these. Jerez de la Frontera, also a center of wine production, was also the other first town to have the electric street lights. The land contains plenty of limestone, and the good climate has allowed the production of quality wine. The landscape shows rolling hills dotted with vineyards. Haro has been noted to have produced wine since the 14th century. On June 29 there is the celebration of the feast day of San Pedro and the Battle of Wine takes place on a hill near Haro called Riscos de Bilibio. Thousands of tourists come to the town for this event, which has been declared as of National Touristic Interest by the government.

The Church of Santo Tomas is the most valuable monument of Haro. Its construction was started in the 16th century by Juan de Rasines, but the work was finished in the 17th century. The church is made of ashlar. There is a slender Baroque tower that was constructed in 1671 by Juan de Raon. The main entrance was designed to look like a Plateresque altarpiece under an arch, and this was the work of Felipe Vigarny in 1516. At the top there is an image of the Eternal Father, between the coats of arms of the Haro Family. Below this are four scenes of the Passion of Christ, and others of Santo Tomas and the Resurrection. On the sides of the entrance are sculptures of the saints in vaulted niches. The interior has the Gothic style and has three naves that are covered with starred vaults that are supported by pointed arches and cylindrical columns. The main altarpiece is Baroque and was created by Fray Pedro Martinez. There is a large Baroque organ with 1700 tubes.

The Basilica de Nuestra Señora de la Vega honors the patron saint of Haro. The image of the Virgin Mary dates from the 14th century. The Basilica occupies a place which had a church that dated from 1184. The present church was built in 1703 by Bernardo de Munilla and Juan de Villanueva. The main entrance has an arch which has the statues of San Pedro and San Pablo. The main altarpiece has a Baroque design.

alberta
Level Contributor
559 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine trip to La Rioja from San Sebastian

Dammit Benny, dont make me rent a car !!

;)

great posts guys and thanks for sharing...I think ;)

makes me want to rent a car .. as great as the roads are in Spain though...parking is the opposite

this is why I enjoy TA so much though... locals helping we non locals enjoy the country so much

some really great side trips described though

hmmnnnn

;)

7. Re: Wine trip to La Rioja from San Sebastian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, August 29, 2011
Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine trip to La Rioja from San Sebastian

Think of around 175-200 euros per person (for two people) with an English speaking private driver, including 4 or 5 visits to wineries and degustation of wines.

9. Re: Wine trip to La Rioja from San Sebastian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, October 17, 2012