We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
140 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help

Please look over and comment on our proposed itinerary. We are Traveling in September. I am not terribly budget concious. Trying to keep the hotels around 200 euros per night. This is our first trip to Spain we have 16 days. We hate to move around so much but as there is a ton to see we are trying to cram it all in:

Fly into Barcelona

Barcelona 3 days

(Fly to Bilbao (vueling 24euros) pick up rental car

Drive at a leisurely pace along the coast to San Sebastian stopping in a couple of villages along the way

San Sebastian 3 days

Drive back to Bilbao see the Guggenheim Fly to Sevilla

5 days Sevilla day trips to Ronda, Cordoba, carmona

Drive to Granada

2 days in Granada

Madrid 3 days side trip to Toledo or Sergovia

I have been working on this for over a month, reading TA, studying guidebooks, internet searches. My only worry is that we are basically doing big cities and not getting a real feel for the smaller areas. Wish I could fit in Cadiz and Tanger. Spain has got a lot of wonderful things to do and see.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

It seems fine to me. Since you will have a car, you can always stop at the villages you like (Lekeitio, for instance, on the way to SS from Bilbao).

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
140 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

Thanks. Lekeito is one of the villages that looks like a good stop. Are there any others that you might suggest for a lunch stop?

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

On that road, Getaria is a must, at any of the restaurants on the port (for incredible grilled fish. Expensive, but a unique experience. Elkano or Kaia are the best known). Zarautz is also another option, or Orio.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
140 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

Getaria it is. Thank you.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help

Another vote for the grilled hake of Kaia in Getaria !!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
76 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help

For your first trip to Spain I would say "bravo!" on great planning. Spain is huge, can't see it all. We drove from San Sebastian to Bilbao and it is a beautiful drive along the coast. Since you are doing it twice I would recommend visiting Gernika which is in between if you have the time. Very important/infamous historical site, which we found very moving. Gernika was also the only place where we heard Euskera being spoken routinely versus Spanish.(Also had a wonderful meal there, which is pretty typical of all of Basque region - food heaven!) Don't know where you're staying in San Sebastian but be warned that we found the traffic and parking in the downtown center to be very difficult. I suspect you are going there for pintxos. Would strongly recommend Alona Berri. Enjoy!

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help

I suggest that you stop in Lekeitio and even consider a sleep over there. This is the most charming village in Bizkaia and you will have the feeling of a small town. Make sure you have lunch (expensive- about 50 euros a head) at Zapirain or Arropain; her best restaurants. As far as Segovia or Toledo, it is a tough choice but Toledo is the obvious one because there is so much to see in a condensed area. Make sure you go to San Juan de los Reyes in Toledo, besides the cathedral.

Buen viaje!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
140 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help

Do you have any hotel suggestions. I don't like budget options but also cringe at spending 450 per night for Maris Christina. We are currently planning to stay at the Inglaterra on Playa Concha. it has very mediocre reviews form two years ago. Any insight would be helpful.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help

Sorry, I have a place in Bilbao so I go to Donsotia for day trips. Any of the newer hotels in Lekeition are good.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
140 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary help

We leave for Spain on Friday and will be driving from Bilbao to San Sebastian on Tuesday. We plan to stop as you suggested in Getaria for lunch. Do you think we need a reservation?

Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...
More San Sebastian - Donostia Topics