We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firework Festival

UK, Cheshire
2 posts
Save Topic
Firework Festival

Hi,

My family are coming to Spain in August/September and will be in San Sebastian from 17th to 25th August. I believe there is a huge firework festival on at this time and we would really like to go/see. Can anyone give me any details about it, or will I be able to find anything about it on the net ?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firework Festival

Hi!

I think that you have no chance to see the fireworks as it ends onthe 15th of August. I have been in San Sebastian to times and saw the beautiful firework with my family. The firework will start on the 8th of August and ends on the 15th og August (Because the 15 of August will be the Mary's day). I use to visit Lourdes Church in France and drive to San Sebastian by Car to see the fireworks. If you want more details about this city then write to me. Wijay

Email: lincoln.no@gmail.com

donostia.org/CAT/Home.nsf/frmswPrincipalIN…

Program for the International fireworks contest

Sunday, August 8th (22:45h) MACEDO������������������������������������������������������S (PORTUGAL)

Monday, August 9th (22:45h) PE������������������������������������������������������ARROJA (CASTELLON-SPAIN)

Tuesday, August 10th (22:45h) PYROPROFFS (SWEDEN)

Wednesday, August 11th (22:45h) TURIS (VALENCIA-SPAIN)

Thursday, August 12th (22:45h) SHELL SHOCK (GREAT BRITAIN)

Friday, August 13th (22:45h) XARAIVA (GALICIA-SPAIN)

Saturday, August 14th (22:45h) LA TIRRENA FIREWORKS (ITALIA)

Sunday, August 15th (22:45h) PIROFANTASIA (VALENCIA-SPAIN)

Spain
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Firework Festival

Hi,Curlylox!

First, I would like to express my deep sorrow for the London bombs.I live not far from San Sebastian but I love that city and I love England and I was completely shocked ,disgusted and sad when I heard about them.

As for your question: This year the festival week in San Sebastian ( or Donostia ) will be from 14 to 21st of August.Is is what we call "fiestas" (This word has no translation into English). So, that week there will be many things taking place: concerts, exhibitions,dancing... And a part of the programme is the firework festival.In fact it is a contest and each night of that week at 10.45 a different firework firm,from different places from Spain or abroad shows their display trying to win the contest.

For me,it is the best thing of the week,and my family and I go out every night to see the fireworks.The best place to see them is the beach (where you can hire some chairs ) or the port.But if you want a good place ,try to get with plenty of time as loads of people head for those places to see the fireworks!

And then,you should follow the "tradition": a nice ice-cream after( or before ) the firewoks.

Once in San Sebastian,ask for the "fiestas" and the fireworks leaflets at the tourist information centre.

I hope you like the stay and the fireworks!