We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rentals ban

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Rentals ban

Hello everyone

I'm hoping someone in the know can shed light on whether holiday apartment rentals have been banned by the city. I have noticed that some rentals, such as Emyrent, are no longer taking new bookings and are giving this as the reason. I fully get why this might be necessary to protect residents, and am quite happy to book a hotel, but am interested to know exactly what's happening.

Thanks in advance:)

6 replies to this topic
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,809 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rentals ban

Not heard about this but there are still loads listed on Booking.com

http://bit.ly/AppinSS

Level Contributor
2,382 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rentals ban

It all blew up earlier in year , lots of info available , all to do with unlicensed properties. , plus they aren’t able yo get licences , a real mess fir the tourist trade .

Level Contributor
2,382 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rentals ban

Sorry my info relates to Balearic. Islands .

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rentals ban

Lots of people advertise their properties on places like Air BnB but don't pay the correct taxes etc so it is getting unpopular.

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rentals ban

Thanks for the responses. It's definitely happening-this is from a cnbc article in September and quotes the SS Mayor:

San Sebastian will announce "much more restrictive" rules on tourist apartments in the coming weeks, which are blamed for pushing up rent prices, and have closed almost 100 illegal rentals in the past two years, Goia said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/tourists-not…

And the owner of Emyrent apartments in SS informed me she is not taking any new bookings due to these changes.

I'll keep watching for any more news. Thanks again for your responses.

Watford,UK
Level Contributor
396 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rentals ban

I have been informed about the same thing. I made a shortlist of properties based on a TA search and it seems they all are from the same agent. They informed me that many of the properties currently advertised on TA are now unavailable due to this new law. They can only rent what they have on their own website and these are very expensive, all out of our range.

We are three women travelling together who thought San Sebastian in Northern Spain would make a good self catering summer holiday. Proving not the case.

Reply to: Rentals ban
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...
More San Sebastian - Donostia Topics