We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around Bilbao area during 15 Aug national holiday

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling around Bilbao area during 15 Aug national holiday

hi, we will be doing the 1-day long drive from Barcelona to stay 5 days in Bilbao arriving on a Tues.

Wed - Explore Bilbao, Guggenheim etc..

Thurs - Day trip to Vitoria-Gasteiz

Fri - Day trip to San Sebastian (15 Aug)

Sat - Relax & wander around Bilbao

Sun morning - Drive back to Barcelona

We are used to long drives in different parts of the world. We love museums, galleries, scenic outlooks, great local eateries, small medieval towns and sitting by the waterfront watching the world go by. Based on my itinerary above, I would appreciate feedback if I should plan things differently due to the long holiday weekend i.e will shops, cafes, attractions be closed ? Or is there a special activity nearby Bilbao that we should not miss during this national holiday period ?

Thanks for your advice.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling around Bilbao area during 15 Aug national holiday

Suslika:

Most stores will be closed on Aug. 15. Most restaurants and museums and sights will be open.

Be sure to see the Museo de Bellas Artes in Bilbao. This is one of the top 7 museums in Spain.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling around Bilbao area during 15 Aug national holiday

On Aug 15 all shops will be closed, except convenience ones, but museums and attractions will be open. I recommend you visit the unique and awesome transporter bridge near Bilbao, as well as Butrón castle. Www. puente-colgante.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling around Bilbao area during 15 Aug national holiday

Dear BennyMalaga, thank you for the info. Looks like I will need to change my plans for 15 August and enjoy it in Bilbao instead. Will check out the Museo de Bellas Artes as you've suggested since it's so near the Guggenheim.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling around Bilbao area during 15 Aug national holiday

Dear MikelBasque

Thank you for your recommendations. The castle looks amazing & seems worthwhile driving 20km to get there even to see it from the outside. I need to figure a way to slot this into our itinerary.

Do have any recommendations or tips for my day trip to Vitoria-Gasteiz ? I read an article that it is "Basque country's forgotten gem" and the photos I've found on the net so far got me interested in this town.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling around Bilbao area during 15 Aug national holiday

My colleague Aitor Delgado may help you on this question, as he lives in Vitoria (I live near Bilbao), but on a quick answer the Old Cathedral of Santa Maria and its restoration process is a must. And also a visit to where it´s located, the Old Town, also knows as "the almond", due to its shape. Beautiful buildings. Can´t miss the Plaza de la Virgen Blanca, as well.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling around Bilbao area during 15 Aug national holiday

Thank you MikelBasque.

I look forward to hear some suggestions from Aitor Delgado. Have a nice weekend.

7. Re: Travelling around Bilbao area during 15 Aug national holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 06, 2015