We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

San Diego...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

Hello Everyone,

I would be traveling to Bilboa in early July and after seeing pictures of the "Stairs" In San Juan Gaztelugaxte I would love to explore that area. I have read some negative feedback about the place being closed, does anyone know if it's still closed? Also, is renting a car the best and easiest way to get there? and if I rent a car, can I go check out some of the wineries around Bilbao? Any good tours to this area? Any information on San Juan and local wineries is appreciated.

Gracias,

crusana

Bilbao, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

Wow...you seem to be a bit lost on the area. San Juan de Gaztelugatxe can´t be closed, as there´re no gates and it´s always open. You have to get there by car or on a private tour, public transport is complicated. The wineries "around Bilbao" are in Rioja, south direction (San Juan is east), one hour and a half drive from Bilbao. You may want to check the txakoli (Basque wine) museum and tasting at Bakio, or Doniene txakoli winery at Bakio, about a 10 min drive from San Juan de Gaztelugatxe. But for Rioja wine region, you can´t do it on the same day.

Bilbao, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

(for some reason TA has assigned me another personality...this is the real one) Wow...you seem to be a bit lost on the area. San Juan de Gaztelugatxe can´t be closed, as there´re no gates and it´s always open. You have to get there by car or on a private tour, public transport is complicated. The wineries "around Bilbao" are in Rioja, south direction (San Juan is east), one hour and a half drive from Bilbao. You may want to check the txakoli (Basque wine) museum and tasting at Bakio, or Doniene txakoli winery at Bakio, about a 10 min drive from San Juan de Gaztelugatxe. But for Rioja wine region, you can´t do it on the same day.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

(the cookies do this kind of things...) Wow...you seem to be a bit lost on the area. San Juan de Gaztelugatxe can´t be closed, as there´re no gates and it´s always open. You have to get there by car or on a private tour, public transport is complicated. The wineries "around Bilbao" are in Rioja, south direction (San Juan is east), one hour and a half drive from Bilbao. You may want to check the txakoli (Basque wine) museum and tasting at Bakio, or Doniene txakoli winery at Bakio, about a 10 min drive from San Juan de Gaztelugatxe. But for Rioja wine region, you can´t do it on the same day.

Bilbao, Spain
Level Contributor
173 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

Hi Crusana,

the stairs that get to San Juan are under repair and because of that the site is "closed" You can get to the beginning of the stairs, there is a nice view.

Enjoy!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

Fantastic! Thanks for the information. We will definitely explore what's "open" of San Juan :) Looking very much forward to it.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

I was there with some visitors a couple of weeks ago and you could climb the stairs without any problems. There were minor repair works last winter, but it seems they´ve already finished. In any case, I´ll be there again next week and re-confirm the info!.

Saludos,

San Diego...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

Mikel,

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear the repairs are mostly done. Cannot wait to visit!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

Hi Mikel Basque,

Did you ever make it back to San Juan? I was wondering what the condition is now and if the repairs are done. Thank you!

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

Sorry for not answering earlier, I was there on a tour with some visitors two weeks ago and the stairs were, in effect, under repair, but you could sort the works and get to the top. In any case, they said that the repair works would be finished before summer.

If you follow the road for about 200 metres, there´s a great viewing point to your left. And continuing the road for about 500m there´s a monument to the battle of Matxitxako and also marks the point furthest north in Spain. Great views too.

Saludos,

San Diego...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A visit to San Juan Gaztelugatxe in July

Mikel,

Great thank you very for your prompt reply and for the suggestions. I cannot wait!

Best,

crusana