We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to visit Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) and Getxo

UK
Level Contributor
139 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to visit Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) and Getxo

Hi,

What is the best way to go from

(a) Bilbao -> Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) -> Getxo -> Bilbao

OR

(b) Bilbao -> Getxo -> Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) -> Bilbao

on public transport on a Monday?

Where do I get on and off and how much is the fare?

Thanks.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to visit Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) and Getxo

Take the metro (around one euro one way), get off at Areeta station and then walk towards the river for around five minutes. Can´t miss it.

Areeta station is in Getxo. From the Hanging Bridge you can walk towards the beaches through a beautiful promenade.

UK
Level Contributor
139 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to visit Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) and Getxo

Hi mikelg,

Once again, thank you for your help.

I wonder if you can help with the following query as well. Since there are 2 adults and 1 child in our party, I am going to buy the Creditrans card to travel on the Bizkaibus and metro. Do you know if I can buy the Creditrans card at Bilbao airport when we arrive to travel to Plaza Moyua?

Thanks.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to visit Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) and Getxo

I think you can buy it at the bus...but not 100% sure.

The Hanging Bridge can also be visited by climbing on the elevator that is on the Getxo side, awesome views of the area from top.

UK
Level Contributor
139 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to visit Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) and Getxo

Thank you, mikelg.

Bilbao, España
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to visit Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) and Getxo

Good afternoon kawan2 :

To visit The Bizkaia Bridge (Listed World Heritage) there is no problem to visit whatever the day. It is 24/7 every single day. You maybe said about Monday because the museums are close that day :). Don´t worry it is always on.

As mentioned before it is possible to climb to the top and it cost 5 EUR but not sure but being a local I never do so. I will recommend to cross to Portugalete but instead of using the Bridge do so using the "Bote". It is about 50 metres from the Bridge and it is more cheaper .30 EUR vs 1.20 EUR person.

About CREDITRANS there is a 3 options : 5 EUR / 10 EUR / 15 EUR but now it is changing to BARIK and you can charge with upto 50 EUR.

Best regards.

UK
Level Contributor
139 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to visit Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) and Getxo

Hi Davide2013,

I have already been and come back from Getxo. Thanks for your posting anyway. I'm sure it will help other travellers.

Cheers.

7. Re: Best way to visit Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) and Getxo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 22, 2014