We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest snow?

London
14 posts
Save Topic
Nearest snow?

Hi

We are coming to Bilbao for 3 days at the end of January. Our 6 yr old would love to spend some/all our time somewhere with snow.

Where is the nearest place with snow?

Is it possible to get to an area with snow by public transport? (we can hire a car if it's not)

It doesn't need to be a ski resort particularly - just plenty of snow!

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearest snow?

Plenty of snow?...rare, but you may be lucky though.Well, it really depends on the weather. We normally get snow just for a week or two per year, and normally at end of January or February. If it snows, any mountain over 300 metres will be a good place to spend a day in the snow. If it doesn´t (and this year we are having a very mild winter), the nearest ski resort is Alto Campoo, two hours away, or Ezcaray, about 150kms away.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearest snow?

According to this website, Lunada is the nearest at 60km:

weather-forecast.com/locations/Bilbao/other

But according to the Lunada website it is closed:

http://www.lunada.info/

Next closest is Valdezcaray at 111km:

http://www.valdezcaray.es/

Something about buses here but my Spanish isn't too good:

http://www.valdezcaray.es/autobus_blanco/

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearest snow?

There´s no snow in any of them at this time...The Basque Country is not the place to look for snow, except if you´re lucky.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearest snow?

I took too long to gather those links so by the time I posted you already had the first post. Thanks for the info.

London
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearest snow?

Thanks very much for your help - I'll hang on to those sites for the future.

London
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nearest snow?

Just realised rest of my message didn't post for some reason!

I'm going to look at the ski resorts today to see if they're feasible in such a short stay. Is it possible to get there by public transport or would we need to hire a car?

We hadn't originally planned to do anything other than enjoy Bilbao but then when I was looking for accommodation I saw some articles about it being an airport people used to get to ski regions. Our little one is really missing the snow this year and so I thought this might be a way to make everyone happy!

Many thanks for the advice.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nearest snow?

to be honest, I wouldn´t waste my time in going to a ski resort that is normally too far away (and by public transport, it´ll take loooong)

London
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nearest snow?

We're taking your advice and staying in Bilbao. Thanks.

Could I trouble you for some more advice? What child friendly things are there to do around Bilbao? Thinking particularly if it's wet. If its dry we'll explore and play on the beach etc.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nearest snow?

Bilbao is child friendly. There are plenty of children playgrounds and you´ll notice many kids playing on the street. You may take the metro to Getxo-Areeta and cross the Hanging Bridge one way and return on the boat that crosses the river. Your kid will love it. And nearby, beaches and the port, with activities for kids. In Bilbao you may want to visit the Alhóndiga, a public recreation centre by Philip Starck, with an open library with activities for kids. And on the Old Town, closed to traffic, your kid may run freely on the streets. Not far, the Funicular to Artxanda hill, open air, great views of the valley of Bilbao and surrounding mountains, and children playgrounds everywhere. Check my blog for things to do in Bilbao for a couple of days.

London
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nearest snow?

That's fantastic! Thank you so much. Would really like to read your blog, I'm

probably a bit dim but how do I find it? (!)