We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bilbao to Laguardia / Haro

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Bilbao to Laguardia / Haro

Hello everyone

Any help with the following questions will be much appreciated!

I will be in Bilbao next week and am interested in going for a day trip to either Languardia or Haro, using the bus.

My plan is to visit only one winery and then spend the day looking around.

My first question is: is there a bus that goes directly to Laguardia and then directly from Laguardia to Bilbao?

My second question is: I've read that Laguardia is prettier than Haro but there's an award-winning winery in Haro that seems far better than any of the Laguardia wineries. Would you advise going for the better winery or the better location? I am worried that if we go to Haro, after visiting the winery, there won't be that much to do... On the other hand, Laguardia might not offer a very good bodega experience...

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you!

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bilbao to Laguardia / Haro

Laguardia is full of interesting wineries and is the "capital" of the Basque Rioja wine region, and also a beautiful town. But for visiting a nice bodega you´ll need transportation to it (check at Laguardia Tourist Office, they can arrange it for you).

The wineries in Haro are closer, but also need to walk quite a long way before getting to the bodegas. Haro is not so nice, but in any case a beautiful town to visit, too.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bilbao to Laguardia / Haro

Dear mikelg

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post!

Your reply has swayed us to visit Laguardia, as opposed to Haro. We will try and get a taxi once there to visit a winery outside the village's walls.

I have contacted Laguardia tourism about taxis, so hopefully they will be able to supply me with some taxi contact details, as well as journey duration and approximate cost.

Many thanks again!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bilbao to Laguardia / Haro

Just be sure to arrange your taxi in advance from Laguardia. I remember my first trip when I naively believed that I could just go to the taxi stand (aka parking spot) in Laguardia and catch a cab. No such luck - the cab was hired out for the day by someone else. Calling the phone number didn't work either.

There are a couple of small underground cave wineries within the city walls of Laguardia and you can walk to a few just outside of town (within 15 minutes). But these aren't the "biggies" if this is what you're interested in.

4. Re: Bilbao to Laguardia / Haro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 25, 2012