We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 college students in Bilboa next weekend

Which Bilbao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland
Level Contributor
83 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
2 college students in Bilboa next weekend

2 US students are traveling to BIlboa for the weekend 2/18-2/21.

Any recommendations? Safety issues? Good accomodations?

Airport issues...coming from UK?

thanks!!!!

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 college students in Bilboa next weekend

It´s BilbAo, for some reason the misspelling is very frequent on this word...

I´d recommend my blog (a local) for things to do in Bilbao. I also mention two excellent and cheap hostels, http://mugalari.wordpress.com.

Bilbao is absolutely safe, no problem. Also, no airport issues, this is Europe as well.

sunderland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 college students in Bilboa next weekend

bilbao is a fantastic city! i'd recomend the old quarter ,el casco viejo, and pozas which is just one long street of great bars, the local are very friendly and are always willing to drag you from bar to bar.there is a safety issue contrary to popular belief,as in most large cities there has been a large rise in muggings in recent years so stick to th main steets where there's plenty if people,but this is a minor issue.remember the basques are" very" not spanish and learning the odd word in euskera will go a very long way!

also last minute.com got the best hotel rates

Mallorca
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 college students in Bilboa next weekend

I was in Bilbao last weekend, it was the first time that I'd been to the Basque country. I was amazed and delighted to find such a beautiful, modern and well kept city.

I was travelling with a group of 4 females and 1 male, all in our early thirties. I felt that Bilbao was as safe as any other city that I've been to in Spain.

I would recommend eating as many pintxos in the pintxo bars as you can (especially the bar "IRINTZI: Pintxos & Friends" in the Calle Santa María, 8, of the Casco Viejo -old Quarter-), where they we found the most modern and unusual combination of pintxos that we could have ever imagined!.

Even if you don't want to go into the Guggenheim, you can go and see "Mamá" (the giant spider) and "Puppy" (well, a giant puppy made out of flowers) just outside the museum.

And don't forget the Vizcaya Bridge (Puente Colgante) in Portugalete / Getxo: (you can get them with metro from Bilbao centre) it´s definitely worth a visit. It only costs 0.30 Euros to cross the river Nervión on the transborder, and I think that it costs 5 Euros to cross it actually walking (overhead).

The airport is quite spectacular too... Despite many locals not being entirely too happy with Santiago Calatrava's (Valencian architect) work of art!.

4. Re: 2 college students in Bilboa next weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 23, 2010