We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route from bilbao to Cadiz

Wetherby, West...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
best route from bilbao to Cadiz

My dad and I are taking his boat across to Tenerife in October.

We are getting the ferry from Portsmouth across to Bilbao. The ferry arrives on the Monday Morning at 8:00am and then we have until Tuesday 17:00 to get to Cadiz, to catch the next ferry across to Tenerife. Any good tips from anyone on this trip would be really appreciated. We will probably drive as long as we can the first day, into the evening to try and leave as little driving as possible for the next day and to allow for any hiccups!

Many thanks

Jo

Bilbao
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route from bilbao to Cadiz

Hi,

You should take the road "Ruta de la Plata". The route is the next one:

Bilbao-Burgos(toll around 18 euros)- Valladolid-Salamanca-Caceres-Sevilla-Cadiz.

I usually take this road to go on holidays to Cadiz. (around 9 hours)

In my opinion the best places to rest the first day are Caceres or Seville because Salamanca is very far from Cadiz.

Regards

Wetherby, West...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best route from bilbao to Cadiz

Hi

Many thanks for your reply, I have had the map out and was trying to figure out the best route.

is it mainly toll roads down to cadiz? we have been told that you can buy something that goes in your windscreen that means you can go through a different lane and it automatically takes your payment without you queing and going through the normal toll.

Many thanks for your info, it really helps, I will get that map out again tonight and start to route!

Regards

Joann

Bilbao
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route from bilbao to Cadiz

Hi,

There is only one toll between Bilbao and Cadiz and it is located in Burgos (around 18 euros). You will not have queues so don´t worry.

Have a nice trip!

Bilbao
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best route from bilbao to Cadiz

Sorry,

There is another one between Seville and Cadiz (around 9 euros).

Wetherby, West...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best route from bilbao to Cadiz

Thank you so much, every little bit of info helps!

Kind Regards

Jo

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best route from bilbao to Cadiz

The "Via T" device can only be bought at certain banks provided you have an account, it´s not for general sale. In any case, you can pay by credit card, highways are excellent and the payment procedure is fast.

Wetherby, West...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best route from bilbao to Cadiz

Many thanks for this info, like you say, if the tolls are not too bad and there is only two, it will be just as easy to pay with credit card or something. Is the road between Bilbao and Cadiz mainly motorway? Is there any dodgy bits to watch out for? I'm just thinking with the boat on the back, we will be in a Discovery with a boat and trailer of about 27'.

Many thanks for all the info everybody has given, it is so useful.

regards

Jo

Wetherby, West...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best route from bilbao to Cadiz

We have just got back home yesterday after completing our trip from Bilbao to Cadiz. All the information from here was really useful, only thing that I would add to that information is that the majority of the route has some very large/steep hills, especially coming out of Bilbao, the first 40km approx was all up hill. All along the route you come up against some corkers of hills.

This probably isn't an issue for someone in a car, and they would'nt proably notice it, but anybody towing a trailer or caravan you need to be aware. We were towing a 2.5 ton boat and trailer with a Landrover Discovery and we had major problems with it overheating (not a problem with the car, just the amount of hills and the weight we were pulling). Eventually my dad stripped the front of the car down taking the grille out to let more air through and it solved the problem. We were getting worried at one bit as we had over 300km to do to catch a ferry at Cadiz and we were having to stop every 10kms!!!

Anyway, we eventually got across there in one piece and the boat is now nicely moored in Los Gigantes.

Hope this info help.

regards

Jo

9. Re: best route from bilbao to Cadiz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 28, 2010