We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip itinerary help

New York City, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road trip itinerary help

I will be traveling to Bilbao in 3 days (spontaneous first trip to Spain and not enough time researching) and I need help to figure out my roadtrip itinerary. Entire trip will last 11 days, with 9 days of car rental. Main interests are small Basque villages, off roads, history, nature, possibly short hikes, spending one night in the Pyrinnes, another one in the Picos and seeing one of the caves in Cantabria. I will proceed the first day towards San sebastian following the coast, maybe stoping in Guernica, sleep San Sebastian, spend next day exploring the area and thinking about sleeping in Hondarribia second night. I need help figuring out what my next destination should be. What would be the best scenic road reaching the Pyrinnes national park from Hondarribia? I would also like to visit Pamplona, the Navarre Kingdom, Urederra park and the Royal Palace of Olite, later one. If anyone could help I'd really aprecciate it.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip itinerary help

Lots of driving videos of this area available here: www.youtube.com/playlist…

After Hondarribia to get to the Pyrenees I would go towards Pamplona on the N121A (there is a landslide just before Belate at the moment but it should be reopening tomorrow). Some other interesting towns to visit are Jaca, Ainsa and Torla.

New York City, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip itinerary help

Thanks a lot Biaritz. I was also considering crossing through the Pays Basque but I'm afraid time will not permit this time.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,310 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip itinerary help

skope:

Near the Picos there is a small town called Cangas de Onis, which is very nice. A good restaurant there is beside the Roman Bridge.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip itinerary help

With respect to caves in Cantabria, check out my blog entry: https:/…

Or the Cantabrian caves site (through where you have to book, and you MUST book at least 1 day before at most caves, be aware, you can't just turn up): …culturadecantabria.com/english/default.htm

Also take into account that the guided tours of the caves are all in Spanish (some of the guides speak a little English or French, but the tour will still be in Spanish).

Closest to the Basque country is Covalanas, near Ramales de la Victoria, really close up cave paintings, turn around and they're in your face! Small groups, 10 minute uphill climb to the entrance and meeting point from where you park, but well worth it, stunning views, good picnic spot and beautiful cave and paintings.

Further west I'd recommend El Castillo in Puente Viesgo, pretty village, lovely river walk and picnic places, great restaurants and the cave is larger and more accessible, bigger visiting groups meaning less problems booking, and beautiful paintings again.

Personally I prefer the intimate ones (Hornos de la Peña near San Felices de Buelna is the most intimate I've visited, groups of 4, but not for the claustrophobic), but El Castillo is seriously impressive on a larger scale.

5. Re: Road trip itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 13, 2014