We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

Is it safe to tour the Basque country? Will visit San Sebastian and then rent a car and explore the region.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

Probably one of the safest places in Spain...what are your worries???

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Hi, i've heard there is some movement in the Basque country to gain independance from Spain, and that it sometimes turns violent. So was looking for advice from other travelers or residents about the safety aspect in the region.

Thanks.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,619 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Will:

The Basque country is perfectly safe. The activities of the ETA will not affect you at all. Most of their terrorist attacks have been outside the Basque area and many of their leaders have been found and jailed. They are being hunted both in Spain and France. So I would not worry about it. I have been to the Basque region several times and I would not have gone if I had any suspicion that I would not be safe.

4. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 10, 2012