We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picos de Europa

Sp0
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Picos de Europa

A few of us are going on a motorbike trip to the picos. We've already booked our place in Potes for the first couple of nights but wondering if there's anywhere else worth sampling? We like a few beers in the evening, so must have a few bars and a bit of life about it. Cider country would be ideal, where are all the asturian cidrerias based!? Staying in Oviedo on the final night. Thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,452 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picos de Europa

Sp0:

There are many siderias in Oviedo. Other interesting cities are Aviles and Gijon. Near the Picos de Europa is the very charming small town of Cangas de Onis.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picos de Europa

Arenas de Cabrales is the much smaller Potes equivalent on the Asturias side. And Cangas, as Benny said, is bigger and a little further out (it's seen as the gateway to the Covadonga lakes, whereas I suppose Arenas is the gateway to the Cares gorge). Do any of you speak Spanish? Cos if you're after cider there's an amazing cider and blue cheese evening at a little village near Arenas, Asiego/u, it's by far the best gastronomic thing I've ever done! http://www.rutalquesuylasidra.com/ Delicious, but you would have to speak some Spanish for it to make sense, and the village is in the middle of nowhere, so you'd either have to ride or organise taxis. You'll enjoy Potes though, good atmosphere at night, as you say, for a few beers.

Sp0
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picos de Europa

Thanks for the input both, very helpful. Sounds like Potes is a winner for us but good to have these places in the back pocket in case we fancy a change.

I used to speak decent Spanish but bit rusty now. I also struggled a bit with the dialect as many words seem to be different from mallorca where I spent most summers growing up!

Asturias
Level Contributor
346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picos de Europa

Hi, the volume Sidra production is more based in Central / Western Asturias but alas not the best biking roads. If in Potes (in high season) then you'll fing the road north of Potes 'very pedestrian' .... you'll have to go 'out of season' to find the 'full experience' with no traffic. Also given the 'crisis' here, the road surface REALLY varies fom year-to-year.

If in high season ... then ride South - the reason I say this is there is A LOT of cars/buses that will slow progress if heading North out of Potes ..... but if going North, then the road from Panes to Cangas de Onis is always damn good ..... just beware of the rocks in the road from the goats kicking them down.

The roads here are NOT 'knee down' stuff until you get to the perimeter roads of the larger dams/lakes (South) BUT it's a favourite place for the traffic police to camp out ALL day ....... just waiting for the 'weekend warriors' that stream out of Madrid / Leon / Oviedo.

You will have a great time here .... it's great going fast but it's also great going slower because you absorb the sight of the scenery around. I know because I'm on one of the best technical roads but if you're high speed / concentrating then you're missing the sights .... you could have done it cheaper on an advanced track day in the UK.

Regards,

Mike

Edited: 7:03 pm, July 01, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
671 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picos de Europa

I took a route Unquera-Potes-Fuente Dé-Riaño-Cangas de Onís-Covadonga(lago)-Unquera by a car in three days. I enjoyed sidra in a lively comedor in Unquera.

6. Re: Picos de Europa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 04, 2014