We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter in Zaragoza

Waterford, Ireland
11 posts
Save Topic
Easter in Zaragoza

We are looking forward to spending 5 days in Zaragoza around Easter. Any ideas as to what we could do? My husband loves train journeys so a suggestion for a day out by train would be great. I love a nice place to drink good coffee and watch the world go by and I also enjoy walking.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,618 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter in Zaragoza

Janet:

Zaragoza is a beautiful city with many things to see. Read the top questions for what to see.

You can make a day trip to Huesca by train and it takes an hour to go there. Huesca is a small town north of Zaragoza. Read the top questions in the Huesca forum for what to see.

Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

The plaza where the Basilica is has many coffee shops to people watch.

Edited: 12:00 am, February 03, 2013
Zaragoza, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter in Zaragoza

Janet,

You´re in luck, Zaragoza has much to see and do during your stay in April. You will be arriving near Semana santa (easter week), where you will be able to see religious processions and plenty of music and food. During these processions the streets are closed and there are men, women, and children who beat their drums in the city streets (during the day, never at night).

Zaragoza also has a very popular gastronomy scene. The 2nd week of Feb, we has a gastronomy tour involving chocolate, and in mid-march there will be a gastronomy tour of tapas. Usually these tours involve all the local bars, pubs, which create and unveil their new tapas. Even if you arrive in April, ´El Tubo´ (several streets which interlock, between el pilar and plaza españa) is full of tapas bars. *Note* a good tapas bar will have plenty of papers and trash on the floor, this represents a good place to go, eat, and drink. If you go to a place without this mess it usually means there is little volume (not good) or they just opened for the day. There also 2 chocolaterias that are also very popular, Valor (near Calle Alfonso) and La Fama (which is near el Pilar).

In general there are many things to visit in Zaragoza, las murallas, el mercado central, paseo sagasta, el tubo, el pilar, plaza de pilar, paranimfo, Centro commerical puerto venecia (the largest mall in europe), calle don jaime, call alfonso, la seo, the ruins of the roman amphitheater.

As a resident of zaragoza, who is always around and about, if you need any suggestions, help or ideas please feel free to email me.

Edited: 2:11 pm, February 23, 2013
Zaragoza, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter in Zaragoza

Janet,

BTW for a great coffee shop, el gran cafe (call alfonso) or Cafe botanical (in the small green pavilion in front of el Pilar). These places are very relaxing and welcoming.

In regards to your train visits, I often take the AVE train to Barcelona or Madrid for the day. The AVE is the high speed train which connects several key cities in Spain. The duration is approximately 79 minutes - 90 minutes depending on time of day and trajectory. If you leave in the morning around 7-8 you could be in Madrid or Barcelona by mid-morning coffee, visit a museum and shop and return by mid-afternoon, early evening.

And finally, a nice place to walk, Gran Via, you can walk between the new tranvia (city trolley/train) which has trees and an area for people to walk and ride bicycles. Walk paseo independencia (nice shops, cafes). El parque grande (near Fenando catolico stop on the tranvia) The largest park in the city, with plenty of water features, statues, and people.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter in Zaragoza

Hello

Thanks for your replies.

I will be in Zaragoza on Good Friday and hope you can give me some suggestions.

I will be arriving on Thursday afternoon and departing on Saturday morning. I understand that there will be lot of activity over these two days but unfortunately, the program that I have found with all the processions is in Spanish and cannot find one in English. Can you please give me some tips where the main processions will be on these two days? Also, any diea where I can park my car for the day?

Will other attractins be open over these days or will everything be closed? What is the easiest way to travel withing the city during these days? Thanks for all your help.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,618 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter in Zaragoza

ejgatt:

Go to the Basilica of El Pilar because most processions will end there.

Parking:

https:/…parkings.htm

Choose the one at the Plaza del Pilar.

Zaragoza, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter in Zaragoza

ejgatt: there will be processions, in many locations (see bennymalaga suggestion). However for something up close and more personal Calle manifestación in front of hotel catalonia. This small plaza will fill up people and has great acoustics with the church (inglesia de santa isabel) in the background.

*Note* Parking will be very difficult due to the size of the city and the amount of people arriving. You may have to park across the river and walk, as many streets will be closed if you want to be near pilar, otherwise park to the south somewhere near the tranvia and take the tranvia las murallas.

7. Re: Easter in Zaragoza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 20, 2014