We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rooms without a reservation

Hong Kong
11 posts
Save Topic
rooms without a reservation

I will be driving around Aragon and Navarra for a few nights, and was just wondering how safe it is to go without reservations. I'm not quite sure about where I would end up each night, and would like to play it by ear where to stay. Will I generally be able to find a nice country inn along the way? And are there rates different from what they would be with an internet booking?

Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rooms without a reservation

We've done this all over Spain lots of times & only ever had one problem (we arrived in Madrid in the middle of a massive demonstration & there was a major football match on that night - it took us 6 hours of driving around to find a hotel).

Unless it's peak holiday season -July August, you should be OK. If you can't find anything, look for the turisme, they are generally very helpful & a lot of them will ring round & find you a room.

Zaragoza, Spain
Level Contributor
19 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rooms without a reservation

I agree with the other post...you should not have any problems. There are plenty of highway hotels and small inns in the area.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rooms without a reservation

Well Papa, when are you planning this "adventure"? Depending on the dates, it will be difficult to find a place to spend the night if you're traveling in July or August.

You're not talking about an area with a lot of towns and villages scattered about. Aragon's major cities are Huesca, Zaragoza and Teruel in the south. Navarra is a little more populated with Pamplona being the major metropolitan area. Country Inns and roadside hotels are not common in this area. There are a number of country homes all across Navarra, but the majority of them will be booked during the summer months. Some of the larger villages with hotels may have a superior room available, and some of the smaller hotels/hostels may have some openings from time to time, but you will spend a lot of time trying to find a place to rest your head instead of enjoying yourself.

Plan ahead and pick a place to use as a base to explore this country.