We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on 10 day itinerary

Rochesterr NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on 10 day itinerary

Getting ready to book train and bus reservations for our trip in late May so I'd like to seek input and any suggestions for change on the itinerary prior to doing so. Flights are already booked so can't change those. I had a different plan in mind until I realized that I can't get from Granada to Toledo reasonably (4 people) except by 5 hour bus. I added the overnight in Cordoba so that we would have access to high speed train to Madrid. We are not planning to tour at all in Madrid this visit. Time in Barcelona is fixed based on flights and due to my daughters' interests. Other "must do" items for our family is the 2 nights (minimum) in Granada and the day trip to Segovia. Any suggestions to make the trip go more smoothly? Thanks in advance!

Wed. Arrive Barcelona at 7:15 a.m. after overnight flight from Canada

Thurs. Barcelona

Fri. Barcelona

Sat. Flight to Sevilla noon

Sun. Sevilla

Mon. Bus to Granada 2:30 p.m. arrives 5:15 p.m.

Tues. Granada Alhambra / gardens

Wed. Bus to Cordoba noon arriving 3 p.m.

Thurs. Cordoba Mosque/Cathedral AVE train to Madrid 3 p.m. arriving 5 p.m. eveining train to Toledo

Fri. Toledo all day and evening train to madrid

Sat. Day trip to Segovia

Sun. Flight back to Canada

Note: Actually 11 days but unable to change the title now!

Edited: 10:33 pm, March 01, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,774 posts
3,785 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on 10 day itinerary

For trains:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

My suggestion for the sequence:

1. Barcelona - Fly to Granada with Vueling.

2. Granada

3. Sevile

4. Cordoba

5. Madrid

For Barcelona:

Downtown Barcelona is the Plaza de Catalunya. Use Booking.com to screen hotels in Downtown Barcelona. A good place to stay is the Eixample, the modern barrio of the city built in the 19th and 20th centuries, with a square grid of streets. The Passeig de Gracia is the most elegant avenue, with upscale stores. Good shopping streets downtown are Portal de l’Angel, Portaferrisa and Pelayo. Maremagnum is located by the port and is a mall that is open also on Sunday, when most shops are closed.

The most important sights are the Modernist sites, which are the Gaudi sites and the Lluis Domenech sites.

Prebook the Sagrada Familia Basilica, the Palau de la Musica Catalana, Park Guell and the Picasso Museum. A day trip to Montserrat is suggested.

New Modernist sites that opened since 2014 that are terrific:

1. Sant Pau Art Nouveau Site

2. Casa Lleo Morera

3. Casa Museu Amatller

The Museu del Modernisme Catalan (Calle Balmes, 48) is a small jewel of a museum, little known, but very worthwhile seeing.

Good restaurants in the Eixample:

1. El Nacional (Passeig de Gracia, 24) - A big building with a very beautiful and original interior design, with 5 restaurants and one long bar. Moderately priced.

2. Palmera (Enric Granados, 57) - A small family run restaurant with a very good tasting menu.

3. Tenorio (Passeig de Gracia, 37) - A large attractive restaurant that is moderately priced.

4. La Rita (Arago, 279) - An attractive restaurant with an inexpensive menu of the day. Great food.

5. Cerveseria Catalana (Mallorca, 236) - Very good tapas place.

*Enric Rosich Macarons (Passeig de Gracia, 53) has the best macarons.

For Granada:

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY. Downtown Granada is the Realejo Barrio. Use Booking.com to screen hotels in the Granada City Center. A good hotel downtown with parking is the Vincci Albayzin. The Plaza Bib-Rambla has many restaurants.

Best sights besides the Alhambra:

1. Cathedral and Royal Chapel

2. La Cartuja Monastery

3. Alcaiceria (shopping)

Shopping streets are Calle Reyes Catolicos, Calle Gran Via de Colon, Calle Mesones, Calle San Anton, Calle Recogidas, and Calle Alhondiga.

For Seville:

A very good hotel in Seville is the Hotel Becquer (which has a garage), walkable to most sights. Across the street is a good restaurant called El Cairo.

What to see in Seville:

1. Cathedral/Giralda Tower - The Cathedral is the third biggest church in Europe.

2. Alcazar - The palace rivals the Alhambra.

3. Plaza de España - The most beautiful plaza in Spain.

4. Casa de Pilatos - Beautiful palace with wonderful gardens. See the upstairs apartment.

5. Museo de Bellas Artes - One of the most important museums in Spain.

6. Church of El Salvador - One of the most beautiful Baroque churches. The ticket from the Cathedral allows one to see this church for free.

7. Museum-Palace of the Countess of Lebrija - Has some of the best Roman mosaics in Spain. See the upstairs apartment.

A good flamenco place is Los Gallos (Plaza de Santa Cruz, 11). The main shopping streets are Calle Tetuan and Calle Sierpes.

Good restaurants:

1. Cuna 2 (Calle Cuna, 2;Tel 954-211-107) is a large, elegant restaurant with traditional Andalusian decoration and with beautiful ceramic tiles lining the walls of the dining rooms. There is a beautiful bar at the top of the building.

2. El Gallinero de Sandra (Pasaje Esperanza Elena Caro, 2;Tel 954-909-931) is a small restaurant with very tasty food.

3. For tapas, go to Mercado Lonja del Baranco (Calle Arjona, 24; Tel. 917-582-420).

There is an art fair every Sunday at the Plaza del Museo between 10 am and 2:30 pm. About 50 artists from Seville display their art for sale at very inexpensive prices.

For Cordoba:

Use Booking.com to look for hotels in The Real Heart of Cordoba. For those making a day trip to Cordoba, the train station does not have luggage lockers but the bus station beside it has luggage lockers. A taxi to the Mezquita will cost only about 5 euros.

The best sights in Cordoba:

1. Mezquita/Cathedral - The most important architectural feature of the Mezquita are the double horseshoe arches, made of jasper, onyx, marble, and granite. There are 856 columns in the church and they seem to be a sea of arches and columns to the visitor.

2. Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos - Has beautiful gardens.

3. Palacio de Viana - The palace has important artwork and there are 12 different patios, all beautiful.

A very good restaurant near the Mezquita is Casa Pepe de la Juderia at Calle Romero, 3.

Shopping streets are the area around the Mezquita, Calle Jose Cruz Conde, Ronda de los Tejares, Conde de Gondomar and Avenida de Gran Capitan.

For Madrid:

Downtown Madrid is the Gran Via, which has many hotels, restaurants and stores. You can use Booking.com to screen hotels in this area (Madrid City Center). The most upscale area is the Barrio Salamanca (the safest barrio) and Calle Serrano is the 5th Avenue of Madrid. It is suggested to stay in Madrid for at least 4 days. One can do day trips to Toledo, Segovia and El Escorial. Read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

Must see places are the Royal Palace, Prado Museum, Thyssen Museum, Reina Sofia Museum, Sorolla Museum, Cerralbo Museum, Plaza Mayor, El Retiro Park, Basilica of San Francisco El Grande.

Botin (Calle Cuchilleros 17-19; Tel. 913-664-217) is the oldest restaurant in the world, since 1725 and has good Castilian food. Roast suckling pig is the specialty. There are many other traditional dishes such as lamb. This was Hemingway’s favorite restaurant.

Casa Lucio (Calle Cava Baja, 35; Tel. 913-653-252) is famous for its "huevos rotos" (broken eggs).

Restaurante Jose Luis (Calle Serrano, 89; Tel. 913-630-958 ) is famous for its tapas.

Malacatin (Calle de la Ruda, 5; Tel. 913-655-241) is famous for its cocido.

L’Albufera (Calle del Capitan Haya, 43; Tel. 915-675-000) has good paella.

Casa Hortensia (Calle Farmacia, 2; Tel. 915-390-090) is famous for its fabada.

Posada de la Villa (Calle Cava Baja, 9; Tel. 913-661-860) has very good cordero asado (roasted lamb).

Restaurante Thong (Calle de Lopez de Hoyos, 14; Tel. 915-631-172) is one of the best Chinese restaurants.

There are many tapas bars at Calle Cava Baja.

Platea (Calle Goya, 5-7) is a new gastronomic site with about 20 restaurants that are open every day, where one can eat tapas and different types of food in the food courts. Mama Framboise there is a great pastry shop.

Moulin Chocolat (Calle Alcala, 77) has the best macarons.

Shopping in the Barrio Salamanca: Calle Serrano, Claudio Coello, Ortega y Gassett, Calle Goya.

Shopping downtown: Gran Via, Calle Preciados, Calle Fuencarral.

I would do the day trip to Toledo from Madrid and not stay in Toledo.

Have a great trip!

Rochesterr NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on 10 day itinerary

Thanks for all of your excellent information! I have seen your posts in other threads - truly a remarkable amount of specific suggestions! I will be carrying a copy of your posting with me!

I've already booked flight from Barcelona to Sevilla on Vueling, so I that is fixed at this point. Why do you suggest Toledo as a day trip rather than overnight?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,616 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on 10 day itinerary

I will try to comment on your specific itinerary.

The bus from Seville to Granada at 2.30pm leaves from Prado de San Sebastian bus terminal not the usual Plaza de Armas one. It is run by CADIZ based operator "COMES" and I took that one quite recently. The fare of €5 for the no cancellation etc is remarkable value considering a bus from Granada bus station to centre may cost €1.20 ! And a taxi could even cost more that the bus !

I think a night in Toledo is nice. I spent 3 nights recently because had not been for many years and enjoyed the time. You have the possibility of traveling back into Madrid Atocha on the train (buy a return ticket as saves 20%) and I suppose if you wished you could go from Atocha to Chamartin station using the Cercanias or local train connection between both stations then use the train to Segovia and stay over in Segovia ! All that does is to save heading back to get transport again following morning from wherever you are based in Madrid. Chamartin station is where the fast train goes from to Segovia AV (alta velocidad) and at that station you take a bus to the centre or taxi..

Return to Madrid at whatever time you are good with and Chamartin station is actually closer to the airport than Atocha or the centre of Madrid. You can even take an airport train from Chamartin to Terminal 4 - it is the Cercanias line C-1 . Se plan etc on here.

www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on 10 day itinerary

I visited most of the places you've mentioned in your query but skipped Cordoba and Madrid.

We were there for apprx 9 days.

Ronda is great if Andalusia seems attractive to you.

There are many day trips from Barcelona and they are amazing : Pals, Caosta Brava, Montserrat...

There is an itinerary I wrote, which you could check out. It's pretty long (Hence did not copy paste it here) and has almost all the links you might require to book buses, trains etc.

acapriciouscompass.com/1-week-itinerary-anda…

Hope this helps :) And you have a great trip!

DC
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on 10 day itinerary

I was looking at some information for an upcoming trip and found your suggestions excellent. Thanks for posting this very valuable and useful info.

DC
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on 10 day itinerary

This information in invaluable. I found your post looking for information for an upcoming trip. You are a wonderful source for travel,. Thank you.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on 10 day itinerary

Thank you so much if that comment was meant for me! Cheers! :)

Rochesterr NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on 10 day itinerary

Thanks to each of you for your information. Loved your trip report Lavina! Looks like you had a wonderful time. Cadiz lover, I have changed my itinerary based on your suggestion to stay 1 night in each Cordoba, Toledo and Segovia for the last 3 nights of our trip, elminating the hotels in Madrid. This allows us to have one more night in Sevilla and saves on all the Madrid to hotel to train and back travel. Thank you so much - seems like it will work out very well for us as we don't mind one night stays and will allow more time in each place!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on 10 day itinerary

Thank you for you kind words! I hope you have an amazing time! :)

10. Re: Advice on 10 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 08, 2017