We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
51 reviews
25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

A must read!

List of 25 top scams by restaurants in Seville as reported today by Sevilla Actualidad.

If you can read Spanish, worth a read before visiting the city.

I have been subject to one or two these in the past when visiting the city, which I love

See: http://bit.ly/sevillrestauranteabuse

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
58,727 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: 25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

I like number 12 !

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: 25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

Yup!

Really takin' the p**s! ;))))

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
353 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: 25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

It took us a couple times to realize the bread they set on the table was not free. And the same on the meat and cheese.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
72,803 posts
3,830 reviews
4. Re: 25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

Nick:

I always tell the waiter that I do not want the bread and ask him to remove it from the table.

For all those of you who think you have been taken, every restaurant has a book where you can write your complaints. Ask for the book and that will scare them. The authorities do read these books.

I always read the bill item by item. If the restaurant makes a mistake it is always to their benefit and not to the benefit of the consumer.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: 25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

BennyMalaga,

The only problem is that when you ask for the complaint book, the staff and management can get aggressive.

I did this in Sevilla in my not so bad Castellano a few years ago and from the reaction though I was going to have to call the Guardia or the Policia Municipal. I hate to think what would have happened to anyone who cannot speak Spanish.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
353 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: 25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

Agreed BennyMalaga. We just didn't realize that at first.

It's just different than what I've been used to in non-European countries. Once we figured it out, it was not an issue. :)

Essex
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: 25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

Is there an English version

Essex
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: 25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

Is there an English version

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,199 posts
241 reviews
9. Re: 25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

My computer keeps blocking the page so unable to read it.

However, please don't just blame Seville, the same happens all over.

We have just come back from the lovely Island of Skiathos in Greece and bread was placed on the table at most restaurants - we got charged around 1.80 euro per person so x 4 when there was 4 of us. Cheek of it!

Even worse is that because taxi's are so scarce, 19 serving all of the Island (told to us by a taxi driver)

if there is room in the taxi when you get in, the driver will ask anyone else in the queue if they want to get in, then has the cheek to charge you both, or as we witnessed 3 lot's of people were squeezed in to a cab for a trip to the airport, 5 minutes away, and the driver charged each group 8 euro.

The few buses that run are literally crammed to the rafters, people stood in the stairwells and even sat on the dashboard, unbelievable but true. I did it once and never again, I was terrified as the bus continued to fill up.

It all seems totally acceptable on the Island.

Don't be put off Seville, it is an amazing place. We have only been ripped off once a couple of year back, by a crafty waiter, (outside the centre, in more of a locals place) I could have kicked myself after for not saying anything, he knew we knew but it did not feel right to say anything at the time. Sadly for them we have never returned there. Other than that we have never had a bad experience in any restaurant in Seville.

Like Benny says, if you don't want the bread just say no or wave it away when the waiter tries to put it on the table, we usually have it though as my partner likes to eat it whilst waiting for our meal or tapas.

I have noticed that we don't always get charged, same as the olives they place on the table.

There are far worse rip off places to visit than Seville. I am sure most people have a rip off story to tell about some place.

Edited: 9:24 pm, September 11, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: 25 top scams by restaurants in Seville

The Chrome browser automatically translates web pages, you do get to select the language.

I'll have to check this out.

The bread trick sounds like the stale nasty pretzels in Prague that hang on a little rack. They stay on the table for months until someone-- us on our first night-- eats one or two of them.

The waiter also said the credit card machine didn't work in the courtyard. This while I watched another waiter at a table next to ours use one. Our waiter also said we owed him a 15% tip in cash.

I carried the bill into the restaurant, used a machine at the bar, and stiffed him while explaining why I was doing that. The bartender watched and laughed, so did another waiter, especially when I got to the part that I usually tip 20% for good service. Of course you don't tip 20% in a country where waiters get a living wage, I do know that, but it was fun to see the look on his face.